Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

M_P90
Senior Contributor

Gardening for sanity

Hi everyone, I've had a long history of mental health issues and trauma. I'm going through a bout of depression at the moment and it can feel pretty paralysing at times. I'm feeling really stressed out and trapped in my job, and I'm living in the aftermath of a long relationship of domestic abuse. I'm quite isolated, and I find it difficult to trust people. It's always disappointing to end up back in an episode of depression, I always hope my last one was the last one. Not quite.

Anyway, I thought I would talk about one of the few things bringing me sanity. I took up the hobby of gardening 3 years ago, and I've been doing it on and off. My interest in primarily vegetable & herb gardening because I like cooking with fresh ingredients, and I have a pet rabbit that consumes a lot of veg each week. I'm new to gardening, my parents had no idea so I didn't learn from anyone growing up. It's difficult and sometimes frustrating, and another thing I beat myself up about, but mostly I feel more positive if I just spend 5 or 10 mins in the garden. My job is highly stressful, and I definitely enjoy an activity with comparibly less risk. I can feel free to be creative in solving problems. Today I captured a praying mantis to add to my veggie & flower patch as I'm having a problem with whiteflies and caterpillars. I felt the best I felt all day just watching the praying mantis wander around and hopefully eat some annoying pests in there. It's not a 360 degree shift in mood, and I wouldn't expect that, but it always surprises me. It's one of those things the "depressed voice" tries to talk you out of - "don't get up, don't do anything, it's pointless. You won't feel better." But, yeah it usually surprises me when I feel a tiny boost from it. 

Anyone have similar experiences? With gardening or maybe another hobby? 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Gardening for sanity

Hello @M_P90 

My parents did not garden so I did not learn from them either.  I started really feeling emotional benefit from it in the last 15 years.  Its been a life saver, literally.

Smiley Happy

@Shaz51 @Zoe7 are a couple of members who garden. There are a few threads that focus on gardening, just put it in the search window.  

Cheers Apple

Smiley Happy

As our wonderful @Appleblossom has said - I do love my garden @M_P90 I don't have a veggie garden now but did in my old place. Primarily I have roses and other reed and flowering plants around them. I also have a few gorgeous creepers over an arch. My garden is still a work in progress as it was extremely overgrown when I moved in. I am doing a section at a time (when funds allow) but it is slowly taking shape. One of my favourite spots is in the corner under two large trees - they canopy the corner where I have built a little sanctuary - that is my happy place. I can sit on the small deck in either sun or rain and feel safe and secure. I am still needing more plants to go in there but one by one I am filling in the space.

In regards to your whiteflies - have you tried a garlic spray? It is natural (you can make it yourself with crushed garlic and water) and is good for whitflies and aphids (not sure about caterpillars though). 

I love that you have a bunny - @greenpea has a bunny and might like to swap bunny stories with you 🐰 I have been talking about getting a bunny for months but was talked out of it by my Mum - mainly because it gets cold here and I already had a dog and cat ...now I have a kitten also so the house is pretty full. I still love bunnies though and maybe one day I can add to our menagerie 👍

Would love to hear more about your garden and your bunny Smiley Very Happy

@M_P90  Hey M_P90 as @Zoe7 xx said I do have a bunny :D. A very spoilt bunny who lives inside the house as he has glaucoma and is primarily blind. My garden is a mess with all the rain we have had weeds are everywhere. I really have to do something about it soon .... I need drastic help with my garden. Any advice would be appreciated xxx

Awesome, I'll have to look it up thanks

Hi there, I do have a chilli & garlic spray I've been using. I also needed to clean up the weeds around my raised garden beds as I think they were breeding nasty pests. So hoping that + the praying mantis will reduce how many plants are being eaten by the pests.

Re: my bunny. His name is Joey, he's been with me through so much- the domestic abuse, separation, my father's passing. Sometimes he's been the single thing I've called on to stop me from harming myself. Love him immensely.

My Joey <3My Joey ❤️Joey has been an angel for me. He's been with me through some really hard times, and he's helped me so much. My Mum says he's worth his weight in gold. He is also very spoilt and lives indoors. I'm very protective of him. I can't say enough for how much animals can save your life, but this little one has saved mine on a few occassions, that's for sure. 

@M_P90 I totally agree with how much our fur babies help us. I would not be here still without mine - they have been my saviour on several occasions. They have a way of knowing when we need that extra love and pulling us out of our thoughts with their unconditional love. Without them I ersonally would have given up and given in a long time ago so I not only love them but they have saved me.

Your little bunny is gorgeous. I had a bird named Joey when I was a kid so that was kind of cool to know of your little one. Give him an extra cuddle from me and all my family and let him know every day just how special he is to you ...and no doubt in the process you will feel that love back and that will give you a little heartlift Heart

0BB3F943-C661-40E5-A697-08771323E31D.jpeg

I just thought I'd add my latest acqisition here, a warrigal greens plant.  I'm ridiculously proud of its progress. 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance