Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

chlo-bo-
Casual Contributor

How to stop sliding into deeper anxiety and depression?

I have had a really rough week or so mental health wise. I've chatted to a professional about it but was wondering what advice you might all have from your own experience. I am really nervous about my symptoms getting worse and losing control. I know that my thinking about this is making the symptoms worse. 

How do you address your mental health issues without letting stress about them take over? How do you have patience and grace with yourself when things aren't improving like you would like?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: How to stop sliding into deeper anxiety and depression?

Hi @chlo-bo-  and @ArraDreaming 

Sorry you are letting your mjnd focus so much on the issues you face.

How do you address your mental health issues without letting stress about them take over?

You need to find something else to think of. Even 5 minutes is a good start. That may be a tv show  walk, gardening etc. You need to shift the focus.

The problem will still be there.

The more time you can focus on something else, the time should increase.

How do you have patience and grace with yourself when things aren't improving like you would like.

Do not be hard on yourself. Everyone else critises us. Be nice to yourself. Patience is the key. All good things come to those with patience. The answer may be completely different to what you expect.

You are allowed to forget your issues in 5 minute timeframes to start

Hi @ArraDreaming  and @chlo-bo- 

Glad you replied.

Jay5. Many issues are created by our mind.

While you are on this site, your mind rests from other issues.

I ask you too, to think of something different for 5 minutes.

Walk. Chat. Uno. Cards. Watch a short comedy.

It is hard, but we need to shift our thinking.

Problems can take years to fix if ever.

But we can give our mind short focus time on other things

Thank you for the advice @Former-Member 

I will definitely try that 😊

@chlo-bo-  and @ArraDreaming 

Hi chlo-bro

Thanks for the reply.

I hope by venting on this forum it helps too.

I wonder what you do to enjoy yourself.

That was hard for me to answer when things got overwhelming.

Try mindfulness. Shift the focus of your thinking.

Baby steps are fine. A few mjnutes. 5 minutes.

It does not fix the issue. But it helps fiz your mind.

I hope you find something to focus on

@chlo-bo- 

Yeah I have to agree, take your mind away for a bit. Watch TV or FB Watch is good to kick your brain out of a pattern for a bit.

Even something as small as paying attention to how you drink, the actual process, sort of like mindfulness drinking. Its short term but it makes ur brain change gear for a second and that might be  all you can do in the begining.

Listen to music, for me really loud and obnoxious seems to work most the time, though at other times its k-pop or electro. 

Sadly I havent come across a hard and fast  fix for this, or anything MH  related, its all small steps, u can build it up over time but in the grand scheme its all small steps until you come through the otherside. I have no idea how we go from depression and anxiety to being ok or happy but in the middle while you wait, small steps.

Hi @chlo-bo-    @ClockFace    @ArraDreaming 

Hi Malen.

Excellent.

A few minutes or a songs duration.

I agree it is a slow road.

But it helps.

Great input

@Former-Member @ClockFace 

Thank you so much guys!

I have been putting the distraction techniques into practice this afternoon and so far so good 👍 

@chlo-bo-   @ClockFace 

I am glad it is working.

As Malen said, even drinking (and breathing)

Any change in focus.

Regardless you return to the issue.

But you realise you can do other thjngs as well.

We get so absorbed in the issue.

Continue. This is a daily effort you need to do.

You are worth it!!!

Hello Forum Friend sorry Im not sure what name is yours to Tag , Just a few Sugestions hope this helps , Mindfullness and meditation seems to help me especially to get out of my head and out of thinking to getting more in touch with my body feeling instead of thinking so to speak Mayby Theres something that helps you to feel self soothed ? A walk outdoors or Music or Going for a drive Just some ideas but I honestly Personally enjoy mindfullness Theres alot of apps that can be helpfull also Journalling is another soothing activity or even typing on these foroms can be helpfull for self soothing and easing the mind ,Some people may find Gardening or Cooking helpfull ,Being creative Is something that helps to give the mind a break from struggle although I understand mental health issues can be really tough at times and I recently had such an experience and all I can say is I hate What Anxiety and Depression that overwhelming feeling of dread and helplessness does to our emotions and thoughts it can be a very scary place to be in , I feel for you @ArraDreaming I can see your going through such a tough time currently and now Ive finally found your Name @chlo-bo- Sorry for not including your name at the start of this post please take care alaso as you find ways to cope it can at times be a heavy load but thankfully none of us are alone with these issues even if it may feel like that Your Friend LostAngel

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance