Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

so just sugar cane mulch @Adge , @Former-Member  is enough xx

Yep a nice thick layer of mulch (about 5cm) @Shaz51

When it's too thin, it breaks down too quickly & doesn't suppress the weeds.

Adge

Looking at YouTube videos, it looks like people  don't put newspaper under sugarcane mulch @Shaz51. They recommend a 5cm depth and tp water once applied. Sugarcane mulch enriches the soil, so I would think newspaper under would be counterproductive.

@Former-Member, @Shaz51, either with or without newspaper works. As @Adge said, it breaks down pretty quickly, as long as it stays moist. Worms love newspaper, so it wouldn't take long before they were incorporating both the paper and sugarcane mulch into the soil.
Whether it will smother the weeds depends on what they are. Ordinary soft stemmed annual weeds, no hassle. Deep rooted weeds like dandelions may or may not still push through, but because the mulch will help keep moisture in the soil and soften it up, they'll be easier to pull up. Industrial strength weeds like kikiyu, couch and bindweed are a different matter. I'm not sure anything short of steel sheets will stop those growing.

images (74).jpg

Ooooh @Former-Member   The Little GardenerThe Little Gardenerlol ..I needed my REAL magnifying glass to read It isnt Monets garden ... but still could get the rest.  The digital "glass" kept flicking to a new page.

Wot does it say Please?

@Appleblossom 

Says

"Wait, this isn't Monet's garden, it is Mondrian's."

Of course @Former-Member 

Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance