Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

wordman
Senior Contributor

To be whole again

Positive reinforcement It is a very valuable experience to nurture oneself. Nurturing oneself comes from a place within. It could be your mind. It could be your body. It could be your spirit/soul. I myself have combined all three of these elements in my process of nurturing myself. I know it takes a lot to overcome mental health issues. For those of you out there who feel it isn't worth it or it is impossible to overcome the negative aspects of mental illness, ask yourself this, Who is in the best position to help me ?  The answer is Yourself. Its OK to seek the help of others, however it is extremely important to be able to help yourself. By nurturing oneself one learns what is best for them. Negativity breeds negativity. Positivity breeds positivity. Be courteous in your life's pursuits. Be gracious to others. Be virtuous to yourself. Most importantly trust yourself to achieve the outcomes that you seek, happiness, fulfillment, prosperity, and most importantly your sanity.    

12 REPLIES 12

Re: To be whole again

Nice words @wordman.

We also need to be supportive of those who have trouble generating positive thoughts. Whether it be something personal or environmental, sometimes telling someone to think positively can be the wrong way to deal with it. Remember to meet people where they are and be patient. The positive stuff may just take time after they have had a chance to heal. 

Hey @wordman ,

Thanks for sharing. 

Through my journey, I have also noticed that negativity breeds negativity and positivity breeds positivity.

However, I have also experienced toxic positivity whereby I no longer feel like reaching out to people because it feels like my emotions are not validated.

Have you come across toxic positivity?

@tyme . Hey tyme. Yes I have experienced toxic positivity. This occurs when people have a hidden agenda and make you feel that things are positive. In regards to validating your emotions, it takes a special person to reciprocate and validate your emotions. Thanks for responding to my post. I hope you don't find toxic positivity too much of a downer. As long as you remain true to yourself and your emotions you will be OK. Keep in touch. 

Kind Regards Wordman

@AussieRecharger Hello AussieRecharger. I do agree with your comments. I like where you are coming from. I will definitely take in what you have told me. Patience is required. I attempt to apply patience in all aspects of my life. 

Kind Regards Wordman

@AussieRecharger Hello. Yes telling someone to be positive is a simple way of dealing with a situation. Positivity does require time to be a part of ones life. 

Kind Regards Wordman

@wordman , 

Thank you for your encouragement @wordman . Being able to have balanced viewpoints is so important. 

In my MH journey, I feel like I have swayed from being very negative to generally positive. The positivity comes from a heart of gratitude and thanks.

I look forward to hearing more about your journey etc.

Kindest, tyme

@tyme Hello tyme. To have a heart of gratitude and thanks is a very positive state. I hope you combine other positive emotions that the world has somewhat forgotten about, such as, kindness, empathy, dignity, appreciation, there are many more to mention. My recovery has involved me understanding myself and eliminating all negative thoughts that I myself  was made to disregard my positive thoughts and emotions which caused my psyche to live a life of despair and emotional ruin. I have been lucky in that I have managed to achieve a lot throughout my recovery. I have understood that the key to a whole and prosperous life, free of negativity or toxic positivity is to remain true to yourself and let yourself understand what is best for you. This requires intuition, insight, perspective, and a philosophy on life, whatever that may be as there are a lot of philosophies about life. My philosophy on life is that it takes very little to be kind, generous, giving, and very virtuous. Its true you don't want people to take advantage of a pure heart, that's where intuition needs to kick in. Listen to your heart. It will guide you throughout no matter what you experience. 

Kind Regards 

Wordman 

Hi @wordman 

First time reading your post.

Thankyou for sharing your perspective.

A few weeks or months ago I would have been totally on board with you, & I have had similar thought process most of my life.

I can't pinpoint exactly what happened....I guess maybe, too much happened...I felt like I've opened my eyes & seen a battle I feel powerless to overcome.

I could assume, that my perspectives have shifted, quite dramatically - from eternal optimism to realistic.

I see the negative thoughts you talk about. And I don't like them. They are not me. They don't serve me. They build & feed off each other.

Anyways, I needed to read your post this morning. I'm not there. It reminded me of who I think I used to be. 

I disagree with any implication of your post being associated with toxic positivity. I personally think that is a misuse or misunderstanding of a complex term.

I don't have any answers. It's only my current ponderings.

maddison 

@maddison Hello Maddison. Thank you for your response. I hope who you used to be is someone who understands the true values of life. Being realistic about life isn't a negative thing. I am a realist, however I am extremely optimistic about my life and my future. I am Optimistic because I see very good Karma coming my way. Karma does exist and it is real, regardless what the sceptics say. It is good that you identify your negative thoughts. You are right they don't serve you nor anyone and they feed off each other. I believe you need to become eternally optimistic again and be rid of those negative thoughts. Begin to understand from where such negative thoughts come from. Only then can you not be influenced or driven by negativity of any sort. 

Kind Regards 

Wordman 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance