Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: What Do Carers Want

Better Centrelink support.

Better inhouse assessments and case workers.

More mature staff with a broader living experience to give better more empathic and appropriate support. (Tho some young ones are great).  Lived experience can also be Life Experience and valuable.

Better management for hard pressed mental health agencies.

RELEVANT SUPPORT for Carer and loved one.

This is my first time to write anything in a forum. 

My problem and disbelief is the medical sector . My daughter (25)has finally been diagnosed with BPD etc.  we have been unable to find a GP that understands her needs and to be the moderator with her Medications. The doctor will not listen to her and will not authorise for PBS.

Then there is good old Centrelink, all the hoops and hurdles to get obtain disability assistance , it's the same story ...they can't see the disability so you don't need help!!

No wonder there are so many suicides of mentally challenged people. I as a mother and carer am scared . 

Hello @Tryingmum

welcome to the forum

Then there is good old Centrelink, all the hoops and hurdles to get obtain disability assistance , it's the same story ...they can't see the disability so you don't need help!! -- yes I totally agree,my husband with Mental illness and me with pysical illness and centrelink thinks you can still work , yes this needs to change

Transport, and more transport, the bus system in the North of Adelaide is impossible.

Hello @Over_whelmed, @VCS, @Tryingmum, @Appleblossom, @Sally

checking in to see how you all are tonight

Snding you tender hugs and remember we are here for you anytime

@Former-Member, @Janiee, @CarerJo, @outlander, @greenpea

Thanks @Shaz51. Still a daily struggle coping with my mother who struggles with her illness.  She has done nothing but deteriorate under the care of her psychiatrist.  The practice refuses to listen or offer support when we contact to attempt to relay valid concerns about her welfare and then have the audacity to immediately tell my mother that we have rung - which always ends in her denying there is a problem, and results in increased conflict and her verbally abusing us for several days on end, as she has no insight into her own condition. We are her only support, since the psychiatrist was quick to take her off her ITO shortly after discharge, and the case worker ceased visiting long ago. As a result, this has has left our family suffering with no recourse, as my mother can be very difficult and this was even more so when she was diagnosed with cancer recently.  She was threatening to be non-complaint with this treatment and we had absolutely no support from her psychiatrist, the practice, or MH at all in dealing with this issue.  In my opinion, some MH professionals have an absolute disregard for their patients and should not be allowed to practice.  The failure within the system to ensure that patients living with SMI receive quality care is shameful and should be reviewed.  The police should not have to be contacted contact every time there is a shortfall in the MH system; carers and families should not be left continually feeling helpless due to the lack of a safety net to address the failings of the MH system to maintain continuity and quality of care.

BTW Sorry @Shaz51 about the rant, but just fed up

about the rant, but just fed up-- @Sally you have no need to say sorry

we are here for you anytime of the day my friend

@Former-Member, @Appleblossom, @Tryingmum, @Over_whelmed, @VCS, @Former-Member

and we are here for you  xxxxx

If I haven't responded before, I can't agree more.  Now we're effectively losing the 224 bus during peak hours.  Any idea how we can reach Gepps Cross without doing a tour of South Australia?  Will be fun bringing things home, especially bulky or heavy items.  Wonder how helpful the bus drivers will be.

Still going, father hasn't fallen over yet, though he is practicing the maneoeuver, by knocking things over along his travels - had another test run this morning!  Still trying to find a way to a suitable swimming pool (<28C).  My rheumatologist is saying I may have to return to the cardiologist, as there are suggestions that I'm developing PAH, making swimming in 'hot' water, even more unsafe.  Multiple tests on my heart in next few months.  Looking forward to that ... not.  224 bus will be restricted to off peak times, from the 27th January, restricting my travel even more.  Getting harder to find the positives, when restrictions seem to be increasing, but with a pessimist father, someone has to try and stay positive.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance