Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Bismuth
Senior Contributor

Wonderful news! My assistance dog passed her PAT!

My assistance dog just passed the Public Access Test! This means we will be able to take the bus, and I’m in regional Victoria, so I’ll be able to get around on the V-Line too - as soon as all the paperwork is done and sent off to Public Transport Victoria. So exciting! I was worried about how we were going to cope in high summer if I had to walk everywhere. The bus will be a life saver.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Wonderful news! My assistance dog passed her PAT!

Hi @Bismuth 

What wonderful news! Thank you so much for sharing 😊

oh @Bismuth congratulations to you and your service dog ❤️ 

I imagine it's been a real weight off your shoulders. 

Forgive my ignorance, but what was the process like? 

@TuxedoCat  In a word, the process was “long”, but I am thinking of the 18 months I’ve been training my dog for! The actual PAT is very stressful, but doesn’t take long. You need to demonstrate the dog can behave adequately calmly in public settings and won’t scavenge etc., plus you need to demonstrate at least three disability mitigating tasks.

The fact is, her training will continue for quite some time and I would have preferred to not do the PAT for another few months when she would be more mature, but need drove us to it. It’s a bit scandalous that the Victorian government allows dogs in training on buses IF their handler is deaf or blind, but won’t allow other people with disabilities the same.

@Bismuth what a huge effort for the both of you then! Your determination has really paid off for you ❤️ I'm very excited for you.

And yes, that is so scandalous! It seems like a very strange rule based on a misunderstanding of how varied the needs of people. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance