Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Jenn4
Senior Contributor

bipolar triggers

Hi folks. Those of you with bipolar - what are triggers for you to swing mood? Cheers

17 REPLIES 17

Re: bipolar triggers

Politicians.

Ha ha @jay2 

Smiley Happy

@Jenn4 

Smiley Happy

It is a really good question.  I dont swing, and am apparently have the "mixed state" version of BiPolar, but not a strong diagnosis yet??? My mood is highly changeable .. labile ... but easily into extremes.  Finally I am able to tell consciously what the triggers are.... it has taken a long time and a lot of self reflection to do that.

Great topic @Jenn4, have you identified your own triggers? 

thanks @jay2 , @Appleblossom , and @Ali11 . I think maybe of late I am a bit like you, @Appleblossom . @Ali11 , this is what i have identified or hypothesised so far. They're all to do with going into an 'up' though, not really any clues on going into the 'downs'

To good or normal from bad

Coffee?

Dancing and music?

Sugar? Fructose?

Sun?

Exercise?

Laughter?

Be open to change and don’t write the day off?

Triggering high or perpetuating it

Pushing through tiredness?

Stress

Excitement?

When I was younger and having bad ups and downs I turned mostly to music. I experimented with all types of music and carefully found what helped me to go up and to go down gently. Don't get them mixed. ie. using your up music when you are already up is a disaster waiting to happen and vice versa. When you are on the verge of depression keep away from other depressive persons,because the moods of others can trigger your mood to exasperate. Lack of sleep is your worst nightmare it tips you over the edge both high or low and stresses you even more. Find a friend you can trust implicitly and get them to monitor your moods with the chance that you can curtail it before it becomes full blown. You have to be vigilant all the time with any health problems, MI, or otherwise.

That's a good list to start with @Jenn4, and as you add to it you'll keep getting better at identifying things that can shift you in either direction.

Great advice @jay2, music can be really helpful for moving our moods. Sometimes putting on something cheesy and fun that gets you singing & dancing, can completely change how your day starts.

cheers for that @jay2 , have done that a bit, will keep exploring it with your encouragemnet. the trouble is i can't sleep! idk how! (and it doesn't help that i usually feel happy and productive when i am not sleeping at night so tend to advantage that and not think so much of all the consequences). seeing a new psychiastric on friday hopefully she has some ideas. 🙂 

Is that next friday that you're meeting the new psych, @Jenn4

Yeah this coming one, the 3rd, @Ali11 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance