Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

yinyang
Casual Contributor

hobbies and interests

Hi everyone and hope you're having a good sunday.

Just wondering what everyone gets up to in their spare time?

I tend to just drink alot of coffee and smoke cigarettes but looking for the motivation and inspiration to get involved with projects.

When constantly feeling depressed or anxious or just scattered it feels hard to focus on a task let alone find joy in taking up a hobbie.

I was wondering if you guys feel the same?

Has anyone got any advice for getting out of the rut and finding something to do thats meanginful when all things feel meaningless?

Thanks and hope you're travelling well

4 REPLIES 4

Re: hobbies and interests

Hi @yinyang 🙂

It can be so hard to get out of a rut when you seem to be a bit stuck in one! I had (and I guess still do sometimes) an issue with wanting meaningful activities to do and struggling to find what would work. What is meaningful to me has had to take kind of a new look since I haven't been able to do things that used to mean a lot to me. Now 'meaningful' to me can be anything I find enjoyable, distracting, relaxing etc. or that gives me something to think about and focus on, or something to challenge me.

I love crafty anything and crochet is my main hobby/interest. Here on the forum people enjoy so many different hobbies. Things like art, music, sport, walking, writing, pets, gardening, reading... (we have threads about all of these) are some that come to mind.

What kinds of things could you see yourself enjoying? Are there any hobbies or interests you once had/enjoyed that you haven't tried for a while?

@yinyang  @CheerBear 

I know what you are saying motivation is hard sometimes harder than others.

My hobbies or interests are surfing Mountain biking and hiking. I know sometimes I struggle to get out there and do something but I also know that I will feel better if I do 

Hi @yinyang even when things were going better Id struggle to have things called hobbies or interests.
Ok , relationships and travel maybe.
Yes I drink often and been feeling out of sorts lately. I haven’t smoked this year tho. Was smoking like a chimney lol. So can empathise. Ok I made a model tank once as adult after doing it as kid. Thats was like 12 years ago now tho lol

I also drink my fair quota fo coffee and smoking, l also play guitar, read bits and pieces instead reading chinks out of books, take it one step at a time breadking everything down into small steps is a way fo getting started and l find is more realistic. This way if you start out not expecting much, you may allow yourself the chance to get INTO  the flow with something you find meaningful. 

Meditation, reading, playing an instrument, playing with your pets if you have any can make you laugh somethimes,gardening if yoiu have one.

What did you do prior to today to feel good?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance