Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

TomRiddle32
Contributor

Bpd

Hi folks

I am beginning a dbt program soon for bpd. I was wondering how long it generally takes for the intense depressive (Time stopping) emotional regulation episodes to stop? That's the symptom that I struggle with and pretty much is the only symptom really in my book. Thanks 

11 REPLIES 11
Mazarita
Community Elder

Re: Bpd

Hi @TomRiddle32, welcome to the forum. 

I do not have the information you are asking, but tagging @BlueBay and @outlander who may have a better idea, or be able to refer you elsewhere. I've never actually heard of the kind of intense depressive (Time stopping) emotional regulation episodes you mentioned. Perhaps it would help to describe a little more what you mean.

Hope you find the forum helpful, as it has been for many here.

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Hi @TomRiddle32  welcome. 
I have BPD abd years ago did DBT therspy. I'm not sure I understand what you mean (time stopping). I haven't heard that before?? 
Are you able to explain a little pls. Happy to chat any time. 😊
I will tag @BPDSurvivor as she's done this therapy. 
thanks @Mazarita for tagging me. 

Thanks for the tag @Mazarita im just out atm but will respond soon

Welcome @TomRiddle32

@Sans911 has bpd as well and i believe she could be helpful here. Shes helped me alot with this stuff too

Thanks guys

The episodes (Probably emotional dysregulation) are very painful. It feels like the world is so non interesting that my mind does not go into my senses at all. Just my dark thoughts. The world is so non interesting ('interesting' is a very poor word but I got nothing else) that time comes to a complete stop. It's like counting each second of each minute for the entire episode which can last ages. And each of those seconds delivers dark thoughts and severe anxiety. I've never known someone to have bpd. Though I don't know what other's suffer. It's an extreme suffering that I just don't want to do any more of. 

You really feel the weight of every second and it's torture. And made even worse by how invisible it is you feel so misunderstood 

Hi @TomRiddle32 ,

BPD recovery is very individualised. The time it takes for you would be different to others.

It sounds like you are talking about dissociation. 

I guess DBT therapy is not about targeting a symptom, but rather teaching you new strategies to support effective functioning in society. These strategies take months of practise before new neural pathways are developed in the brain.

Hope this makes sense,

BPDSurvivor

@outlander @BlueBay @Mazarita 

Hi again, @TomRiddle32 

I have bipolar, with major depression and anxiety being the main symptoms over my life.

When I was at my most depressed, I remember being at a Patty Smith concert, an incredible artist, but I felt so horribly distant and untouched by anything I was hearing or experiencing. All I could feel was being swallowed up by my own depressive misery, all alone with it, unable to be reached. If what you experience is anything like that, I know it's awful and hope you are able to put this past you soon.

I still struggle with depression after a very long time now but I almost never experience anything as bad as that. There is hope for a better future.

Hi @TomRiddle32 ,

How is your DBT therapy going? Just thought I'd check in to see how you are.

BPDSurvivor

Thanks for sharing that story. Its great you’re doing better now

Thanks 🙂

I have my interview for the Melbourne DBT centre in 2 hours.

I actually don’t have any of the symptoms of BPD outside of the episodes so I am able to live happily which is good. The core sensitivity to stress and emotional dysregulation is still there though. It will change one day. I actually think it’s my ego that’s unhealthy. And through Buddhism I managed to remove it from my self concept a while ago. So I kind of have 2 selfs in a way. My ego takes over when the trigger happens and sometimes I just have to accept it. It’s like I try to regulate the trigger, then I realise this particular trigger hasn’t been regulated so I have to let my other self in. It happens like a floodgate opening and I very instantly become my unhealthy self. I went 41 days with no symptoms last time. So I will aim high again.

I actually started reading a book called the orchid and the dandelion

You may be interested?

Thanks for checking up on me. Best regards to you

Alex
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance