Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Krishna
Senior Contributor

Daughter catatonic

Flicking through tv last night and came across a movie Beautiful Boy. The story of a family struggling to help their drug addicted son. Oh my, it resonated so deeply with me in so many ways. There was a scene where they were at a parents support group and on the wall were the words "You did not cause this, you cannot cure this, you cannot change this". It's taken me 9 years to accept this. My girl has continued over the years to use substances that worsen her mental health and this latest stint resulting in her catatonia and worsening of mental health nearly took me down a very dark hole. I cannot change the choices she has made but I can change how I respond to it. She is still in hospital having slipped backwards last week and therefore undergoing more ECT treatments. She has cut ties with me. So now all I can do is pray that this was her 'rock bottom' and that she finds the will and strength to slowly make her way back to the sunshine. I have been in mourning for 9 years now and need to put that to rest. 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Daughter catatonic

@Krishna  Hey Krishna keep on believing there is light at the end of the tunnel. I was in a very dark hole with son2 for 6 long years. He didnt use drugs but is a very messed up young man.  Now we have the medications sorted he is a different person.  Now that your daughter is in hospital use that time to take care of yourself. It is going to be hard to let go of the reins a bit but you must look after yourself. We are all here to help you through this. Your friend peax

Thank you @greenpea.

I hear what you are saying my daughter also has mental health issues that are getting worse as she gets older. I had a mother with mental health issues and hoped that none of my children (3 girls) - would be afflicted as well- but for some Unknown reason. This has happened. My heart breaks watching her struggle and feeling so low  but somehow through this I know I will be ok. But will she?   I don't believe there is enough support for people either with the mental health issue or for those around them. I am hoping this forum will be helpful without getting bogged down in rhetoric. Take care and remember there are heaps of people in a similar situation. Although you may feel very alone. As I know I do at times. 

Hi dear @Krishna 

I have watched it too and it resonated. 

Thinking of you sweets x

@Anastasia thank you. My girl has been offered 6 weeks at a rehab for therapy life skills etc. still under CTO so hoping she volunteers for this. Hospital and mental health services seem to be pulling out all the stops for her this time and just hoping she accepts what they offer. Anyways I’m off for two weeks to help look after a family farm down the south coast and catch up with old friends. The break I need. Thank you for your continued sending of love and support. Take good care xx

Thank you. Sadly the hospital stay of the last 6 weeks is medication only and therapy counselling etc. is voluntary.,Hoping in the future it becomes part of the treatment. I wish you and your daughter peace of mind xx

That is such good news, I so hope she accepts it @Krishna 

Your trip to the farm sounds divine, enjoy your break you deserve it xox

See you on the flip side my friend x

@greenpea @Appleblossom 

@KrishnaEnjoy the farm and friends.  It is so difficult watching people we love suffer, whether or not they blame us or keep contact.  Sounds like it is time for your heling, and your daughter has to make her own path.  I am glad they are pulling out the stops for her ... that matters.

@SecondoneSad the way MH issues goes through families. I am finding it helpful to think of it as transmission of trauma and ways of adapting, rather than the old fashioned way of simply saying its genetic ... there may be a disposition ... but so many issues are in play.  My parents struggled with different backgrounds and were hospitalised.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance