Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jersey85
Casual Contributor

Dealing with diagnosis - Bipolar II

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and very newly diagnosed as bipolar II. For the last 15 years I have been treated for depression and anxiety with medication and I have seen numerous psychiatrists, psychologists, doctors and counsellors. Finally after years of medication not really working and experiencing bouts of severe depression and then times of irrational flying of the handle, irritation, anger, not sleeping and being jittery and unable to sit still, I was diagnosed as being bipolar II last week. I am currently alternating between relief at finally having some answers, incredible frustration that it has taken 15 years for a diagnosis, hope that maybe now my new medications and new psychiatrist might help and sadness and anger that this is my lot in life. Today I am struggling to deal with the rollercoaster of emotions I am feeling at the moment. How have other dealt with their diagnosis?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Dealing with diagnosis - Bipolar II

Hiya @Jersey85 Welcome to the forum.
It does take time to process this new information. So try to be patient and calm. It really is a break thru Jersey85, you finally have a diagnosis and now you can work towards, what I call, a healing treatment plan.
Peace be within you ☆

@Jersey85 

Hi jersey85,  Welcome to the forums, glad to see you posted such a honest posting about how you are feeling and what you are going through, i think you will find that alot of people on this forum, have been through or are going through similar stuff, i myself have been diagnosed with bipolar,

my first diagnosis was about 7 years ago, where i trialled alot of different meds and saw quite a few different psychologists, the thoughts you are having are quite normal, in my expierence, the relief of finally having some semblance of an answer, is a good feeling, like everything makes sense all of a sudden, but the frustration from why couldn't this have been worked out years ago also, as you might know, working towards a diagnosis does take time, as sometimes the symptoms, which seem normal to us are actually, symptoms of bipolar, and when you also have depression, it was a focus point for your dr's,

Now that you are aware of the diagnosis, and can get the right meds, and your new psychiatrist to also help you discover how best to manage in time things will become clearer.

can i ask why you have sadness and anger? please feel free to answer or not, it is up to you.

I took my intial diagnosis very difficult i was very upset that i was sick, when i didn't think i was....... i then tried convincing myself i wasn't sick, and came off all my meds i stopped seeing my dr's, and got very sick again, i only realised 5 months ago, how sick i was getting.

So now i have been reassesed i still have bipolar, but i also probably have a couple more illnesses as well, with the new knowledge i have i am more comfortable with what is needed treatment wise to be able to get myself heading towards a healthy wellness.

hope this helps

please feel free to keep posting and asking questions

regards

Kato

I am on a mood stabiliser and anti depressant. I avoid alcohol and illegal drugs. I exercise. I keep routines, I avoid stress. Yet, still I have the dips into depression. It's exhuasting.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance