Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Feeling a little lost, needing clarity

Hi all, after a bit of a hiatus I’m back and after about a year of work since I was last here don’t feel like it’s adding any value to my life… in a perfect world I would want to keep working, but don’t seem to have the drive to keep pursuing it given I can just go on the DSP.

I’ll be making a lot less money but I think money is not all… though it helps. Anyone been in this position and can you transition from a working life to a stay at home life, and how would that go… is there much involved with telling people you’re on the DSP or not. I have a bit of fear you could call it or worry that if my neighbors constantly see me at home their gonna think something is up!

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Feeling a little lost, needing clarity

Hi @Former-Member , there's not much involved in telling people you're on DSP. You just tell them you're on DSP. If they start asking too many questions and you want them to leave you alone just tell them you have scizophrenia, they'll run a mile and tell everyone they know.

With neighbours @Former-Member don't mention it.  You have what is classed as an invisible disability and your health information is nobody's business but your own. DSP is very hard to get, you have to demonstrate you can't work more than 12 hours a week or something (can't recall the cutoff) but if you have been working a 40+hour week its unlikely you would be entitled to a DSP. DSP is for people who cant work

Hi and welcome back @Former-Member 

How have you been?

Meggle

Hi @Former-Member 

Sometimes people do not value the mental support in working and discipline in being places on time and often being part of a team.

I do not think it is all about the money.

I encourage you to stay working and having a healthy routine.

Being home too much is not always good on the mind

@Former-Member I know it is not much weight, but I feel like the odd one out most of the time in re to team.. I’ve had about a month off from work due to health reasons over the year. I try to socialize like try to talk to people see what they’re up to, what they’re doing on the weekend. at first I get responds but over time I feel like I’m being shunned.

given my MI and medication not partly working I feel like I’m headed for disaster. I’ve been working close to 15 years since I left school pretty much on and off but mostly on.

I just feel like I need a reset

Hey there @Former-Member  have you considered that you are in the wrong kind of work and might enjoy a different type of career. 
Missing one month of work out of a year is not bad at all. I think you are doing a fantastic job considering your situation. Maybe you could cut back hours and do part time instead? Or go casual and do some study on the side to expand your skills.

If you are looking to connect with people it’s better to look for friends in other places like doing a hobby and finding friends with similar interests as oppose to being friends with someone from work anyway.

just my thoughts. I hope it’s given you other perspective to consider:

Thanks for the reply @Little_Leopard .

just based of how I see people getting along with each other vs what I expect is different. But there are lone wolves in the office too. But I don’t give off a strong vibe lol.

I’ve tried in the past venturing to other fields but at the end of the day, I wanted to be making money. 

not staying consistent doesn’t help

That’s is fair enough @Former-Member .  There are benefits to not being friends with work colleagues anyway. One good reason is if you end up having a fight or a toxic relationship develops outside of the workplace then you’ll end up having to go to work and tolerate them every day. 

If you love to make money then DSP is definitely out of the question. Unless you wanna dip your toes into some good old poverty line living I would suggest cutting back work hours or ramping up the self care to see if that improves things.

Why not try a new hobby?. Might bring something interesting and new in your life to help motivate you and help you feel better?

Ho @Former-Member 

i think a Reset sounds like a good solution.

I am also doing a reset.

Often l feel like l am "burning daylight"

That means not achieving a lot.

But that is all l feel like doing.

My desires change when l help others.

But little drive myself.

And another day ends and l could have done more.

I like your alertness.

I was probably encouraging being with others but l enjoy my solititude while l "Reset" or l say "Refresh" my thoughts

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance