Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Zac
Casual Contributor

Just want to get myself better

Hi, my name is Zac and I'm 26 and I have struggled with anxiety and depression . This is my first time ever writing in a fourm my story is that I once was very happy in my life friends, girlfriend I had a job and used to skateboard film and do lots of fun things. But one by one I made mistakes that led to the loss of my job girlfriend at the time and friends who I thought I trusted stab me in the back. I beat myself up alot about all the stupid stuff I did in my life and now to this day my anxiety has gotten so bad that I've been unable to push myself to leave the house it's been close to 3 months since I was able to walk down the road or get in a car without getting massive panic attacks. I'm trying not to give up hope but i can't seem to help me bounce back to where I once was I am seeing a therapist and due to take medication soon Ive been putting it off, hopefully I can make improvements for 2021 thanks for listening

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Just want to get myself better

@Zac 

Hi. You are showing a lot of resilience and many signs you are actually helping yourself to get better. Its so very easy to beat ourselves up over mistakes we have made. Life can get better again. Give yourself the time you need to go on the journey of wellness. You can be happy again. Keep on the track that you are on and also welcome. This is a very friendly and supportive community. Use the @ symbol and a list of names will drop down for you to select from if you wish to address someone in particular. You are doing well, even though it doesn't feel like it. If and when you are ready give yourself a pat on the back for taking charge of your life and doing what you can when you can. 

@Zac  Hi and welcome to the forums.

Well done for reaching out here. It’s not easy, especially that first post.

I’m sorry your life has turned a dark corner, but you are young, you don’t know what lies behind the next one.

Your friends don’t sound like friends at all, maybe realising that sooner, rather than later, might be a positive.

I’ll tag a few young members, who might have some advice.

@Flying_Hams @outlander . 

Take care.

Hi @Zac - welcome to the forums. I can only echo @Powderfinger to begin with - you're doing a lot better than you think you are, just by seeking help and continuing to strive on.

Have you ever heard of "personal medicine" before? Personal medicine is the activities that help us feel better and connect us with our purpose in life. Pat Deegan, a psychologist who lives with schizophrenia, described it in around 2005.

Here's a worksheet which can help you think about your personal medicines: https://www.recoverylibrary.com/assets/browser_test/personal_medicine_worksheet.pdf

For me, my personal medicine includes knitting, volunteering and exercise, which I do alongside taking my pill medicine. Doing my personal medicines has helped encourage me to take on situations that I previously found confronting. I just thought you might find it interesting because you mentioned wanting to make improvements for 2021.

Take care, @Zac.

@Gwynn 

Oh, that sounds interesting. I am going to take a look at that and maybe print out the worksheet. 

@Zac  Gday Zac , it's good that your talking to someone making positive steps. May I ask why you are holding off on the meds? If prescribed by a doctor they can help give you the pickup you need to become well again, like a helping hand. You don't necessarily need to take them forever. 
Make small goals and achieve them, baby steps. You'll come good mate it just takes a little time and a little work. 💪🏻

I've been holding off because of the fear of taking drugs I get nervous about even taking painkillers sometimes, I don't like the idea of not being in control of how I feel and I've been pushing myself to beat this without the use of drugs but havnt had much luck as I tend to stop myself alot from progressing forward, only recently I was able to sleep at a normal time for the first time in months which I'm quite happy with.thanks for the encouraging words I really appreciate it and will work hard to get better

Hi @Zac  

Thanks so much for sharing what you've been going through on the forums. It takes a lot of courage.

I'm sorry to hear that life has been tough lately and that you've been experiencing lots of anxiety. You've done the right thing in seeking out a therapist. Hopefully they can give you some tools to help you manage the anxiety.

The forums are always here should you need to ask or discuss anything. You can also chat to someone at sane should you need or want to.

Sending strength your way Smiley Happy

Rosie93

G'day @Zac it's nice to meet you

I'm 27 and have struggled with both of those too so I think we'd be able to bounce ideas off of one another.

It's great you reached out here as well and I can see that many here are keen to welcome you - which is an example of the online community that exists here

This when you say " I beat myself up alot about all the stupid stuff I did in my life and now to this day my anxiety has gotten so bad" - because I too can relate to that. I still do it and I think lots of thoughts about "what if i did this" or "what if i did that" and it can become tiresome.

Just know that many here are in the same boat more or less in that regard

How often do you see the therapist if you don't mind me asking

@Flying_Hams I haven't been able to talk to my therapist for awhile but I have some sessions lined up tomorrow than one every 2 weeks after that he was been pretty busy before that I would see him maybe once every two or 3 weeks maybe
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance