Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: My life partner has Bipolar ii

"emotional blunting". @Former-Member

looked it up and it looks like his antidepressants might be the cause of it as well as Bipolar 11 + MDD

49.9 percent of whom had major depressive disorder (MDD) and 50.1 percent of whom had bipolar disorder (BP), found that emotional blunting was one of the main reasons for the discontinuation of therapy. In fact, after weight gain and excessive sleepiness, emotionally blunting ranked third in the reasons to stop treatment among people with MDD.

@Former-Member, how is your mum , di you say you were going to visit

Mum going ok I think, heading off to visit at the end of next week @Shaz51.

Hi @Former-Member how was Mr D today ? 

Mr Darcy is tired @Sophie1 he is having trouble sleeping (he said 1.30 am when he came to bed last night), possibly related to the slow med discontinuation.  I am starting to record hours in his mood chart and noting if he cries.  

Sleeping problems is terrible ... Ms S big tell of a manic cycle starting is when she sleeps 830 to 1am and then up all day after that with frantic rushed compulsive activity until she physically can’t do any more and then the depression and crash into sleep and the cycle starts again ... 

mood chart sounds like a good idea - we have never managed to keep one up - even looked at some apps but still didn’t do it - how do you manage to keep one and is it you or Mr D who is driving it and who fills it in ? How long have you managed to keep it up for ? Worth the effort ??? Change psych session outcomes ??

Mr D not manic, is distressed that he is not sleeping @Sophie1 no increased activity, no grandiose thoughts, no flight of ideas. 

I drive the mood chart, have done it for at least 2 1/2 years. Mr D only marks mood, anxiety, irritability scores, I do rest ie meds, sleep, other notes.  Had stopped doing sleep but this is necessary.  

I think it vital as is really the only "test" that  one can use to monitor efficacy of drugs etc.

Yes, documenting things has made a difference and led to a drug being dropped. It was also helpful when he has had drugs discontinued -  showing no adverse events (he was put on quite a few meds when he attempted 3 years ago, have been reducing them slowly with the aim of monotherapy) , the one he is dropping now has heaps of relapse potential, am probably a little on edge with this one due to the differential Dx that was tendered when he was in hospital.

Not that I would love him any less if Dx changed to a form of Sz @Sophie1 it is the treatment options that are more of a concern to me.

Thx @Former-Member appreciate the info - Ms S has psychiatrist this Thursday so might ask her after that if we could start a mood chart together 

@Former-Member 

Thinking of you and trust all is well as can be with Mr D 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance