Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

wordman
Senior Contributor

recovery

The best time in my life during recovery was when I wrote, directed, and produced a 7 min film which was entered into tropfest. I have managed to achieve important goals during the past 25 years. It has been along time since I found myself in a dark place. Recovery does take time and it can only occur when a solid understanding of ones persona is understood. My recovery has been enriching and fulfilling. My message to all those struggling with recovery is to become self aware and don't rely on others to make things happen for you. I have remained autonomous throughout my recovery. This has helped me understand that mental illness doesn't have to linger within us. Yes for most mental illness conditions medication is vital to control and stabilise the condition. For me medication is vital to stabilising my mood and i am grateful for it. I am also grateful for the fact that I have managed to achieve my goals and ambitions, some successfully others not so successfully. Hey that's life. I have remained strong and true to myself since my diagnosis in 1997.   

2 REPLIES 2
TuxedoCat
Senior Contributor

Re: recovery

@wordman, it's so wonderful to hear that your recovery has been so healing and fulfilling, full of growth and achievement! Congratulations on your tropfest film! 

I know each of us has our own unique journey. And it's so beautiful that we do! I know for some of us, our mental illness will be with us for our whole life and for others, medication might play no role! And that's ok too, because we all have different needs 😊  

I know for me, it has been a ROLLERCOASTER 🎢 I think it's powerful for us to define recovery for ourselves. For me, recovery means having more good days than bad days (but also accepting the bad days as they come!) and having a community around that I can depend on for support. It also means having to take multiple medications for the rest of my life.

Can't wait to get to know you on the forums!

Take care,

TuxedoCat

Re: recovery

Hey Tuxedo cat. Thank you for your reply. I have come to learn that medication is sometimes all we have to combat our illness. I respond very well to my medication. Thank you for your encouragement and praise. I hope you manage to exclude the bad days and replace them with nothing but good days. I am sad to hear that you have bad days, however i am glad you do have good days. If you want to view my film you may do so by going to  my youtube site : wordmanfilms1. My film was not selected for tropfest but I had a great experience making my film. Please provide a review if you wish. 

May you have nothing but good days ahead of you. 

Cheers Wordman

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance