Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Owlunar
Senior Contributor

Jules Verne's birthday

Hi everyone - it's Jules Verne's birthday today - he was a great early sci fi writer - I started my early sci fi adventure with Journey to the Centre of the Earth.  Also the TV Series Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

I looked - there are more books he wrote that I want to read

Owlunar
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Jules Verne's birthday

Hi Chibam

Great to see you here

Owlunar

@Owlunar wrote:
Hi everyone - it's Jules Verne's birthday today - he was a great early sci fi writer

For anyone else who is curious, he would've been 195 today (thanks, Wikipedia 😉)

Personally, every time I hear Jules Verne's name, I can't help but remember that he was Doc Brown's favorite author in Back To The Future Part III.

Hi @chibam 

I didn't know Jules Verne had any connection to the Back to the Future movies - thanks for the info I really enjoy watching Doc Brown and Marty McFly dealing with anomalies in time travel

Owlunar

@Owlunar wrote:

Hi @chibam 

I didn't know Jules Verne had any connection to the Back to the Future movies

Oh yeah! In fact, the franchise concludes with Doc introducing his kids - named Jules and Verne - to Marty.

Hello, @Owlunar, just wanted to track you down and ask if you'll be using your telescope on the eclipse today?

I thought of you when I say the ABC had an article about photographing the eclipse using a telescope.

Hey @Historylover 

No - I didn't see the eclipse today - it was cloudy in Melbourne so totally not visible here - and even so it would have been a very small view this time.

I did watch a partial eclipse some years ago when I lived in an upstairs apartment with a west facing window - I didn't look at it - I had two pieces of card and watched the event through the pin hole - facing away from the window. That was a safe way to watch it.

I did see a total solar eclipse in Melbourne - ah - let me look it up. 23rd of October 1976. It was fantastic - the stars came out and the birds stopped singing and it was eerie - and we did watch for a short spell but went inside to watch the end of it on TV. I will never forget that - it was fantastic. The next total solar eclipse in Melbourne will be in 2037 - and I will be past it I think by then - I am glad I saw it when I did.

And thanks for the link - that's really informative.

My telescope would be great if I had a decent horizon and my shoulder wasn't so impaired. The sky was wonderfully clear last night and I thought I might have some success but I couldn't - so the telescope is wonderful but my shoulder isn't - when I get out to a shopping centre I will try and find a folding table of the right size - I am vulnerable in crowds though so I am waiting my time.

Also - we have a lot of light pollution in such a big city - I remember how black the sky was when I was a little kid - so many stars and so brilliant - I saw a comet after WW2 and I didn't understand it - I probably heard people talking and I thought it had something to do with the war or the atomic bombs - 

I hope your day has been peaceful - I know you have been busy in the site here - I do read my phone when I am resting my shoulder - I can't answer everything - which would be ideal - when I do - I really put my heart into what I write - and I care about you

All the best

Owlunar

I was thinking of doing the pinhole image projected onto the concrete to see the eclipse, @Owlunar, but in the end, it just slipped my mind. I did see it on television though. It was amazing—as always. Yes, it must be bewildering for the birds!

You've not been able to make the most of your telescope, have you? You should do an internet search for small, folding tables. Bunnings, Officeworks or similar would be a good place to start. At least, then, you'd get a feel for the prices and range available. Perhaps you've done so already.

I hope today is peaceful for you, too, @Owlunar.   

On matters astronomical, @Owlunar, have you ever spotted the space station travelling overhead?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance