Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Cancer took my husband of 40 years. Not coping.

Thank you @Former-Member, my youngest is keeping in contact with me..My depression hit a low two days ago when I said wrong on the other...I’m not doing good and I really don’t care anymore..but sweetheart please don’t worry about me..look after yourself...I decided to stop fighting so much..I really don’t care any more, sick of the constant pain daily...memories, etc..just completely over everything I have to deal with..

No reply is necessary at all....Just take good care of you beautiful Sherry..

Love and hugs💜🤗.

Starta..

Hi @Starta 

I'm really happy to hear that your youngest son has maintained contact with you.  That is definitely a plus.  I get the feeling that the pair of you really made some connections when you had those few days together out of the hospital.  

Oh no ... I am really sorry to hear that Starta.  Actually I cannot imagine you saying something wrong there .. not at all.  It just isnt in you to do so.  It really annoys me experiencing, and hearing from others, what goes on there sometimes.  I think someone gets a set on people and all of a sudden they decide to crack down hard by quoting obscure rules and regulations to try to explain their actions. It benefits nobody and can do serious damage to many. There are ways of doing things right or well, but way too often they get it so very wrong.  It may not be so bad, if they applied the same rules to all. From my personal experience (3 years worth of it) this usually tends to be very targetted.  I hope in your case that it isnt because I know how important it is to you and I know the time and effort you put into your role there.  Knowing you Starta, you will have retreated and gone into your shell.  Please dont allow them to do that to you, dont let them beat you.  

You say not to worry about you Starta, but of course ... I do.  We never stop worrying about those we care about. And I do care about you Starta, I always have. Its one thing to say you have decided to stop fighting so much, but its quite another to say that you no longer care.  Please do not be thinking that way Starta.  You have, and continue to, deal with so much.  There is a way through all this, but sometimes it takes more time than we want to give it.  Please be patient.  You will get through this latest setback and come back stronger and more determined than ever.  I know you made progress from being in the hospital, I know you learned a lot.  I have confidence you are strong enough to make it through again.

Love and hugs to you too.

Sherry 🤗💕

Hi @Starta 

I cannot imagine what you said that was wrong.  I just don’t believe it.  You should have more faith in yourself.  I agree with what @Former-Member @has said to you about , the other.  You are a fine woman and a caring and sensitive writer.  

I also am so pleased that you son is keeping in touch.  That is so validating that he loves you and values you as his mother.  Focus on this positive energy.

Dont let the crap that can go on get to you. You know in your heart it is nonsense, but because you are so used to taking the brunt you accepted it.  Don’t.

peri

Hello dear @Former-Member , @Peri ,

I was taken down by two words that were said to me by the mods that I was supposed to be doing, but reading back I couldn’t find anything to confirm that....but the damage was done I was down..Then when I was down I decided to look on fb, at my eldest sons and grandchild to see how they are going, it usually helps lift my spirits knowing they okay...I found out that I’m to be a great grandmother in a couple of months and I haven’t been told...I am feeling so unworthy in myself because they don’t think I’m worthy enough to be a great grandmother to him/her....The hurt went straight to my soul when I realised that I may never even cuddle or give my love to my first great grandchild, I haven’t even seen my youngest grandchildren (twins)  more then twice in their lives and they are now  5.5 years old...It hurts a lot...

The damage done by me not being strong enough to walk away from a narcissist hubby...because I both was so scared of him to do so but at the same time I also loved him has totally destroyed my life...Believe me when I say that we do do get free of the physical abuse  but the emotional abuse stay with us forever and it’s like a cancer that grows and spreads through my family continually eating away at my heart and soul....

I cannot see a future for me other then this constrain hurting...it’s hasnt left me inb5 years hubby has been gone I doubt it ever will..

Starta

And I do care about you @Starta  and sending you tender hugs

Hello @Peri , @Former-Member  HeartHeart

Hi dear @Starta and a friendly wave to @Peri as well.
That is so sad to hear Starta that they would do that to you. Its taken me a few days for my anger to subside about that before coming back to respond. For people who are meant to be managing a MH forum, that crowd really dont seem to have any idea of how easily someone can be brought down. And when it is unfair and uncalled for, that makes it so much worse. I have my suspicions as to what may have occurred, but I'm reluctant to say too much. But lets say it likely revolves around a certain blond person in a peer role there. From past experience, I know this person to be very vocal behind the scenes, and unfortunately he has the ear of the manager over there. He is like teflon, nothing ever sticks, despite repeated serious lapses on his part over the past 3 years. Its highly likely he reported something you posted, that he does not approve of. He has always been very vocal in his criticism of others. Unfortunately he is well regarded by those who do not know him well, and that includes most ordinary members there. Behind the scenes he is not like he seems at all. He is not to be trusted Starta, so please do be very careful. If he chooses to target anyone, he will not stop until he succeeds in bringing them down .. one way or another. Enough of that ... thank god he is the exception to the rule. Most of them there are great people. And I must say its lovely that the big walrus has been offering you his support. Did I mention that I have started corresponding with him again the past couple of weeks? He is the CC that I worked with when I was there, and have continued to keep in touch. Though I cut ties for a while. He ended up convincing me how silly that really was.

Starta I very much doubt you said anything wrong, I really do. I am only sorry you took it to heart and that it brought you down so low and so hard.

Yes I can imagine that it would have hurt to read on facebook about the impending arrival of your first great grandchild. Do you think however that they might have assumed you knew already ... like from reading facebook if you are 'a friend'? They may have thought you didnt need to be told. Modern youngsters these days seem to tell all the big news through facebook these days. Just seems to be the done thing.

Its really sad though Starta that firstly your sons, then your grandchildren and now likely your great grandchildren have not had the pleasure of having you in their lives for way too long. Its sad for you, but its equally sad for them. They are missing out on knowing and loving a truly wonderful person ... a mum/grandma/great granny ... who would love and cherish them all. I hope that one day, your family can be drawn back together again, to become one once more.

Please do not blame yourself Starta, you must know that is a part of C-PTSD .. to blame oneself. But thats not true .. you are not to blame for your husbands narcissitic ways or for his mistreatment of you or threats to your children when they were younger. Its a very simple fact that men are typically stronger than women in a physical sense. Its only natural that you feared him for both yourself and what he may do to your children. Little wonder you were too afraid to leave and seek a better safer life for yourself.

I totally agree with you that physical abuse seems to heal where as the emotional and psychological abuse remains with us ... likely forever to a large extent. It has all certainly had a long lasting affect on you Starta as well as your family over the longer term too.

I know you cant see a happy future for yourself right now Starta, but dont forget that you were with your hubby for 40 years. Its only a relatively short 5 years since he passed away. There is still much for you to overcome in an emotional sense, still a lifetime of pain and suffering to take away. But there is still hope of better things to come. There is still hope that your family can be restored. The fact that you now have a relationship with your youngest son, is proof that things can change. Please hold out hope that your other sons can also eventually see through all that wrong your husband did, and what you felt you needed to do to protect them all. Just remember though that its not easy to see your own father in such a light. It may take time and much patience. From you and for them.

Sorry for rambling Starta. I should leave it at that I think. Hope to hear from you again soon.

Lovely post from @Peri last week too. All very true.

Hi to lovely @Shaz51, the one who cares for all of us here. I dont know how you do it all with so much on your own plate. So from me to you ... a great big thankyou.

Night all ....

Sherry 💕💤

Dear @Starta 

I feel that I have been neglecting you lately my friend.  How are you doing since you last posted here?  I have in mind that you had an appointment today, rather than your usual work day.  I hope that goes well and I will be thinking of you.

How are your little fur babies going?  I just had another look back at the pics you posted here of them a couple of months back.  Cute little things they are.  My Holly has been enjoying some cooler weather that we have been getting lately.  In fact I was out on our deck earlier this morning enjoying a nice cup of tea. I can sit on our deck and overlook our fish pond.  It has a nice little fountain which I turn on for a while every day.  It helps to aerate the water for the fish.  I bought 2 new fish (comets) last week and added them to the 1 lone fish we had before. The existing fish we have had for ages, was the sole survivor of an ibis attack last year. He/she is appreciating some company I think.  The two new fish are much smaller, but they are all getting along nicely now.  Anyway I threw them some fish food and watched a feeding frenzy while I enjoyed my cuppa.  As you know, I love the sound of water, so the little fountain is nice and calming.  Holly just sat by my side enjoying the scene as well.  She had been getting obvious pain in her joints a few months ago, arthritis setting in poor baby.  But I started her on a new glucosamine based chewy thing which I give her every morning.  It seems to have worked a treat!  She is no longer limping badly when she gets up from resting, or pulling up lame after playing fetch with her toys.  So I will keep her on this stuff.  Really good to know it works.

Starta how are you going with your AD meds which they started you on while in hospital?  I know you had tried a number of different ADs before trying this latest one.  Perhaps with this latest one, they have finally found one which works and does not have side effects which are worse than the symptoms they are meant to treat.  Certainly hope thats the case.

Have you been able to continue on with an occasional walk as you had hoped to do after leaving hospital?  I also hope your sleep routine is holding up, and that you continue to eat regular healthy meals. You wouldnt allow your furbabies to skip meals ... now would you? 🐶 Adequate sleep, regular exercise and good nutrition are so important to our overall mental and physical wellbeing.

I'd love to hear how you got along today, and how you've been in general.  I miss our regular talks.  Waves to @Peri  and @Shaz51 too.

Sherry 🐻🤗👀👂💕🌼🌺

Hello @Former-Member, I’m doing okay thank you hun..I had a work assessment at Centrelink in the bigger town 75 kilometres from mine..I had to go alone and was not in a good way when I got there..lThey are wanting me to try to do 2 days a week, I told them I don’t think I can.lokay they said that my Psychiatrists, Drs. ect has sent in a lot of medical certifications stating that I’m in need of a rest from work...they cannot go against that.....so I’m 1 day a week still...which I prefer...I had an online hook up to centrelinks government psychologist this morning..that was tough but I think I handled myself not to badly a few tears but not a lot, so I’m kind of happy with me for holding me together..l also seen my Psychiatrist this morning..busy day..

Its slowly creeping up to the anniversary of my brothers sexual assault that started 3 years of what I can only describe as the beginning of my soul being destroyed...I need to try to manage this better then the previous years...

So many bad anniversaries this month...I will like every other year get through it..harder as the years go by I think because I haven’t forgiven him.....or me for being such a weakling...Its just to hard to do that...

My fur babies are doing good, I love them so much..but sometimes I push them away which makes me feel so bad...Then I make up for it with  extra cuddles and kisses, I’m sure they don’t understand me at times...I don’t understand me at times either..

Wellways  is coming out  next week to mine to pick me up and take me and another girl that was a  patient from the hospital I was in out to have lunch in a park next week. She also has trouble getting out of her home..I can only try to do the best I can,,,

I hope you are all doing okay and have some light in your beautiful souls today..

waves to @Peri  @Shaz51 ....

caring thoughts and hugs to you all...🤗🤗.

Starta.

@Starta, @Former-Member , @Peri 

sending you lots of tender hugs your way and thinking of you lots HeartHeart

talking about fur babies , I don`t have any now , but i have had lots of different pets throughout the years

today while i was cleaning someone`s house , i had two little dashounds followering me everywhere

@Former-Member, i inherited a foxy and when he was 19 I was bushing his teeth, he enjoyed it

Hi dear @Starta  and a wave to @Shaz51 @Peri 

Its been a while since I visited, and I must apologise for that.  I know March is a particularly difficult month for you with a number of anniversaries which often bring you down.  I have been thinking of you often, but knew you were receiving much needed support elsewhere and did not want to bother you.

Its great that you are doing the Mindspot course again, which was halted while you were in hospital earlier this year.  To have the benefit of an at-call counsellor is a luxury you are not used to having.  Particularly beneficial during this month of triggering anniversaries. Shame the course only lasts a limited amount of time.  Perhaps its worth asking if you can still access the live support once the actual course concludes?  

Has Wellways maintained contact with you, for outings etc?  If not Wellways, how about the other person that you met in the hospital, is there some way to could get together with her on occasions?

I'm glad your furbabies are well, and I feel strongly that they know you love them to bits, despite pushing them away at times.  They just know!  Holly is good too.

Again I apologise for not being around. I have just had so many issues cropping up lately, my mood has plummeted lately.  I must try harder to pick myself up, if not for me, then for others who need me.

Sherry 💕💜🤗

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance