Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Olga
Senior Contributor

Constantly eating

I am so disappointed in myself that I don't have better control over my food intake. I find myself  eating a lot. Eventhough I read recently that the medication that I am on can cause this, I still don't find it acceptable to be so out of control.  My family say I should be happy that my moods are controlled, but how can I be happy when I can't even look at a photo of myself?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Constantly eating

Hi Olga,

It is tough. Many meds make you have an appetite. What can I suggest? Taking things in small steps. FIrst concentrate your efforts on being well in the sense of emotional stabilit. Focus on this, rather than food. As best you can. 

Aim for a good healthy diet of fresh veggies and proteins and leave it at that for the moment. Small steps. Small steps.

Sending you love

D

It's definitely a weird thing to not be able to trust your hunger. Can you see your doctor about getting on an eating plan? You might also like to take up some exercise because that helps us enjoy what our bodies can do (rather than focus on what they look like). I try to knit in the evenings instead of snack and that seems to be working for me (weight isn't going up, and I'm having scarves!).

@Gwynn, @myheartache thanks for reply. I will definitely make my occasional walks a more regular thing. Exercising is great for the mood too. And @Gwynn you inspired me to take up knitting again. I used to love it when living overseas. @myheartache, so right, little steps count...

@Olga  Hi hunny I feel the same way .... one of the reasons I would love to get off these wretched pills but it is what it is. Hugs and hugs sweetheart. Love peaxxxHeart

Me too @Olga @Gwynn @myheartache @greenpea 

I worked on lowering my coffees to 2 per day, but somehow the size of the spoon I use got bigger ....go figure.

Buying lots of nuts and fruit so the nibbles are not too devasting on the figure.

Keeping moving 

@Appleblossom  Hey Apple you are right re nuts and fruit . I read that coffee helps with weight loss so I dare not stop.:). xxx

@Olga @Appleblossom @greenpea et al

I share the same problem. Weight gain isn't the worst of it, type 2 diabetes is a risk with some meds. My gp recently told me to lose at least 5kg because of heart problems and I intended to try intermittent fasting but haven't lasted the full day yet. Ì mostly avoid processed food as much as possible so my blood sugars are fine which is a start. Olga I'd recommend focussing on your overall health first and know your blood sugars and cholesterol so you and your gp know how you're tracking, and it will help inform your decisions. My pdoc occasionally talks to me about alternative meds but I've been fairly stable so have been hesitant to change. It's  a work in progress. 

And yeah I love my coffee.... but the hot chocolates too, worst luck. I'm going to try miso soup instead.

Good luck,

Dimity

@Dimity @Olga @Appleblossom @Gwynn @myheartache  and all who pass a couple of years ago I tried a well known shake and lost weight but also lost a huge amount of my hair!!! Apparently it can be a side affect with these shakes ..... typical.  I have long thick hair and the last thing I want is my hair to fall out 😮 . I dont know what to do to be honest.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance