Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Dissociative Identity Disorder Carers?

Aaand not all is rosy. Phone call this evening, strong SH impulse which she's convinced she'll follow through with once she's back home. 😞 Am trying to explain that this is where the "self talk" thingy comes in. As long as she keeps telling herself the impulse is irresistable, it will be irresistable. If she can start telling herself that it's worth fighting it, eventually she'll win... every probability that she will. But for now she remains unpersuaded.

Things continue to go downhill. Smiley Sad She's told the staff that she's got a strong SI and a plan to go with it. If she's not confident that she'll stay safe, they'll need to transfer her to a public MH unit. Because she dissociates, she believes she cannot guarantee that she won't do something SH+ related. Am frustrated and tired of her thinking she is totally helpless, because believing you're helpless makes it so... but cannot persuade her otherwise.

Self and Hubby are currenty under the weather with a rather rough cold. (Have been coughing so much that I get shots of sharp tingly pain, not sleeping properly, lightheaded. Hubby's at an earlier stage of the bug, so probably has some of that in store still.) We're not physically up to going to visit her, and I've partially lost my voice, so I can't even have much of a phone conversation.

So she hasn't got us to fall back on, and she's feeling very alone. We're lost for what to do next, apart from praying.

@Smc  🙏

@Smc

Praying here also.

@Smc

You wrote  "Am frustrated and tired of her thinking she is totally helpless, because believing you're helpless makes it so... but cannot persuade her otherwise.".

I think this is part of a carer's lot, seeing how our loved ones could help themselves and their inability to do so,  then realising that is part of their MI and often not possible, especially when they are acute.

Understanding the goal of medication to reduce the symptoms - the goal of therapy to learn coping mechanisms and foster resilience and enable patients to take the responsibility and do what they can do to help themselves. 

Knowing when and how to encourage them ... how to manage our own feelings around this ... one of the reasons why us carers often benefit from seeing a counselor ourselves (and of course having a chat on the forum about it 😀)

images (5).jpeg

@Former-Member, big "yep" to all of that.
I did find out in a recent telephone conversation that while she'd gotten the message that self talk is important, she had no idea why. I suspect that this means we are really only at "ground floor" stage of her understanding that she can build up her own supposed "truths", which may not actually be true. In the light of that, I don't know how many counselling suggestions have been discarded by her as ineffective because she hasn't actually understood their purpose and how/why they work. Am thinking I need to email the psychiatrist she's under at the clinic (and ongoing) to discuss this. But presently I'm lying in bed nursing this cold and a headache from the resultant broken nights, so I'm maybe marginally up to it. Smiley Frustrated

@Smc  ... hearing you 

If daughter is taken to public hospital would be voluntary or do you think they would seek a treatment order?

@Former-Member, I don't actually know.

Her psychiatrist phoned us today, and she's in favour of avoiding a transfer if possible. She's a cluey lady, so we think she's got a reasonable chance of succeeding.

That would be a relief if dr can arrange that @Smc

@Smc

I do hope she responds to treatment and that a transfer can be avoided. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance