Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Getting Help 🤐

Have you ever worried about the consequences of going back to the 'public mental health system' when you've fallen through the cracks with them before but need help and there's nowhere else to go?

Recently i sought out help with a Bereavement Social Worker (connected to my support group) as intense flashbacks have returned (where I catch myself out talking to invisible ambulance officers from the past... and crying). I though I was over all that. Its come back, its frightening, and distressing and Im not sure i can survive it  again... 

Anyway,

After only two sessions with this lovely social worker (who's my own age + connected well),  she wants me to go to someone more experienced 😞 

🤔 Why do they always end up palming me off? Don't they know there isn't someone experienced enough for people like me... with a 'complex' history...  All I need is someone to talk to when it all gets too much 😢, a backup, a reminder I'm no alone, to hold it together, to keep going...

Anyway, 

She made some enquiries and came up with 'ONE' name in the whole regional area  - a psychologist who has 'experience' in PTSD. 

🤔 

I reluctantly rang this number BUT that particular psychologist has 'closed her books' 😟 

But the receptionist found another there with 'some' ptsd. She's not a clincal psychologist as such, but a in training to be... a registrar... 

🤔

Please, someone tell me how a 'registrar' (still in training) is gonna have the 'experience' I need?

Oh, and thentim told "she only cost gap of $70 per session"

🤔

Yeah, that'd be right... now I'm out of pocket to be someone's else's training. How is this really helping me? Instinct is telling me to bail already... That it's another money driven, self serving scam who won't really help" 

Butwait, there's more!

This 'training' psychologist is not available for 3months 😟 the next apt being late January 😢

Feeling defeated,  I just said "that's fine :face_with_rolling_eyes: thank you. 

🤔 !

Shit, What to do? Can I  afford this?  Isbit right that i support aasystem that takes advantage of the disadvantaged?  Do i need it? While waiting i have 3 big grief anniversaries coming up. Will I cope with these intensifying flashbacks... through that? If I can, on my own, that long, then maybe I don't really need 'help' anyway. 

Maybe it's just a normal part of the grief process, for 'complex' me and there's nothing they can do anyway..

🤔

Just in case, I rang the other number the social worker   referred me to. They could give me an assessment apt this Friday (with someone with some vague qualifications:face_with_rolling_eyes:), but  thent then i'll  be referred to a psychologist or psychiatrist anyway...

🤔 If it's a psychiatrist forget it!

Why do I get that dizzy merry-go-round feeling again?

Friggin sucks! What a crock... We already know I need help, sheesh! Why can't I find someone?

I get the general impression that the MH system is looking after itself, not 'complex' people like me... and it really is just a case of 'suck it up' on my own for the rest of my days.. somehow

system-131405_1.jpeg

Im lost, and tired... and vulnerable... and, umm, did I say tired...

Does anyone relate to what I'm talking about? .

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Getting Help 🤐

@Former-Member, I think I can relate.  Unfortunately I think the gaps in the system are getting bigger and more and more people are going to slips through without getting the help they need.  The system is geared to help people that fit into certain criteria and if you don't fit, then, you are pretty much on your own.  I get frustrated at the ammount of money it costs to get professional help, its hard enough to make ends meet and then when you are paying for meds it just gets harder.  The people in those positions and places seem to think money is no object or problem for anyone.

I hope you can navigate your way through the crazy maze 🙂 Heart

@Former-Member @Gazza75  I am 100% with you on this. They always say they can help at first and then they realize it is harder than they thought (like you told them at the start) and then they say you need to see someone else like it is your fault. I am CONSTANTLY very afraid that anything I say or do will end me back in hospital because my experience there was so horrible. Even to the point that the sound of keys or beeping locks will make me stop what I am doing and make me want to run and hide. As @Gazza75  said the system is designed for people who fit certain things are if you aren’t one of those people it is fend for yourself. I also think the cost of a psychologist is highway robbery. They are allowed to charge up to 250 per 45 mins in Australia and some people get that much money per week. Nearly every professional I have worked with has given up because they couldn’t fix me like they wanted too and I never asked to be fixed I just needed someone to talk to about it. But they want to feel useful and if you can’t make them feel useful they take it out on you and blame you for not trying to get better. Sorry you are dealing with this it really sucks.

Hey @Former-Member I refuse to navigate the public system for fear of falling through the cracks. I think it shows much courage trying to give it another go, even though it seems you have little choice in this case. I was lucky enough to have psychology funded under the NDIS, as there is no way on Earth I could afford private sessions otherwise. My psychologist works in the public system in an acute setting during the day and moonlights as a private therapist in the evenings and Saturday mornings. She is very good.

I'm sorry to read you are without help for some important anniversaries coming up. That must feel terribly difficult having that knowledge. Heart

Sitting with you...

Former-Member
Not applicable

These are helpful replies thank you. I don't think I'll bother. I'll drag myself to the Bereavement Gp shortly, probably get more help there anyway, and a coffee :face_with_rolling_eyes:

Hey @Former-Member,

I'm sorry to hear you have been referred on to someone with more trauma experience when you had built a connection with the bereavement social worker. And that the referral then was not appropriate due to them not working or another person with a big gap fee and not so much experience. 

It points to such huge gaps in our mental health system. I'm glad you can receive support here around the taxing and disppointing parts of navigating this system. There are some good professionals out there and times where the system can be supportive, and I hope some are experiencing that too. 

Take care today 🌻

Tortoiseshell 

@Former-Member  I had nothing but grief with the public system and met some very mediocre psychologists and psychatrists. My current private pdoc threatens to send me to the public system if I dont take my medications etc.......

Hi @Former-Member. I hear you, as others do. I can relate too (I think that's the exact image I posted somewhere else the other day). I find the system difficult to navigate and even more difficult since the NDIS has rolled out. There are gaps, closed doors, palming off, not-our-problem etc. Trauma informed and sensitive is not something I experience that often. It frustrates me, does damage, makes me wonder why I bother and can leave me feeling even more defeated. It's crazy making at times. I'm really sorry to hear you're experiencing what you are.

In saying all of that, I hold on and push through because sometimes I come across people who make it worth it. Workers who really do get it and who work in a way that is supportive and makes a difference. I know I would have given up a long time ago and that I wouldn't be here today without that support.

I really hope something/someone helpful comes along for you soon. Tired, lost and vulnerable needs support, understanding and care.

Hi @Eden1919

@Former-Member, @Queenie

I have been reading your post Eden about your struggles to get help from the MH system and from MH professionals. And I fully agree that the system has many flaws and some mental health professionals charge too much and cannot help some clients. However I just need to comment that every mental health professional is different and many are able to help,  as many members of the forums regularly note. I encourage you to keep on reaching out for professional care. it may take you a number of attempts but it can be worth it.

Whitehawk

Hi @Former-Member , @greenpea , @Gazza75 , @Queenie , @CheerBear , @Tortoiseshell , @Whitehawk .

I tend to agree with lots that has been said here. I also think that we make the steps forward when we are ready and able to do so. It’s really hard to do if you are in crisis lots (my past experiences). It’s one of those things for me that I’ve heard some things from mh professionals repeated over and over during the years, and got frustrated and angry at the time because I didn’t think was helpful, but then the penny finally drops and I can take it in and work on it. Sometimes it’s been years for the penny to drop. 

I was about to be passed on in the public mh system as not being 'fixable'. I don’t know where it came from, but I let out an impassioned plea to the psychiatrist listing all the things I wanted to work on and what I needed help with. It was a big turning point for me after being passed from worker to worker. The psychiatrist listened and has taken me on for psychtherapy and it’s been life changing. I’ve had a mix of helpful and not so helpful  mh practioners over the years. I totally agree with @CheerBear 

• In saying all of that, I hold on and push through because sometimes I come across people who make it worth it. Workers who really do get it and who work in a way that is supportive and makes a difference. I know I would have given up a long time ago and that I wouldn't be here today without that support.”

Good luck to all finding the person/s that make a difference. 💜🤗

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance