Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Mel10
New Contributor

Psychosis

A friend of a friend has turned up at my house and isn’t in a great way. Believes everything is bugged and her animals and plants have implants . Any mention of hospital or intervention completely sets them off. This is not the first time it’s happened and their experience has caused distress and trauma reaction.  I think they have stopped taking their medication. I’m not sure how I can get them to get back on. They’re currently staying with me. I’ve let them sleep because they were exhausted but not sure on the next best steps. Any tips would be welcome 

4 REPLIES 4
Lavanya
Casual Contributor

Re: Psychosis

maybe try a mental hospital or therapist. If you don't want to do that then maybe try soothing them yourself. A trusted friend could be more helpful

Hi @Mel10,

Welcome to the Forums. My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. It is nice to have you with us.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I would also imagine this would be a lot for you; to see your friend like this and not be sure about how you can help. It can be tricky to support someone that refuses / doesn't want professional intervention. Would you happen to know if they are under the care of a mental health team, GP, therapist etc? If so, maybe you could reach out to them and ask for suggestions around how to to help your friend. 

If you don't know any details for your friend's professional supports perhaps you could ring your local mental health for some advice. I have attached a link to an organisation called Head to Health Services. Head to Health Services is a good starting point if you want to talk to someone about mental health information, services and support for yourself or someone you care about Head to Health Services.

Your friend is lucky to have such a compassionate and caring friend in you. I really do wish you both all the best.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Mel10 @FloatingFeather @Lavanya 

As tiring as it was for me, I had to relax and think how hard it is for the friend.

What a shocking way for them to live with these supports. And not find anyone to show the thoughts are true, because most are not. Most.

You seem correct it may be no medication.

I called a Triage nurse at local hospital. The risk to have a team come and admit them seemed high in case they did not admit them.

Our fear is we then lose the trust they had in us.

One hopes you think of the idea to contact doctor. But in todays world, privacy is greater than help.

If no better you may want to call triage and they may need to send the cat team.

We always hope our friend will admit themselves.

So sad. So lucky to have you!

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Mel10 @FloatingFeather @Lavanya 

Typo error

What a shocking way for them to live with these supports [THOUGHTS]. And not find anyone to show the thoughts are true, because most are not. Most.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance