Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

lala2
Senior Contributor

Roller coaster

First of all, I am so grateful for this forum.  Its my first time on here and I already feel a bit better after reading some of the threads.

Im what some might say a high funtioning schizophrenic.  Had 3 big psychotic episodes that put me in hospital 2-3 months each time.  Most recent was November 2022.

I am a single mum of a 14 year old girl, we live on a large rural block with our two cats and two dogs.  I work as a special needs teacher aide 4 days a week. 

So the problem Ive recently encountered is Im so, so tired of my monthly injection roller coaster ride of energy levels.  I take the injection of a low dose medication and 6 days later I start to get a drop in energy levels, by day 7,8 and 9 Im struggling to get out of bed.  The fatigue, the jelly legs, the tiredness is so extreme, I sleep for days.  As the month goes on and the injection starts to wear off my energy starts to come back, by week 4 I feel amazing, I get so much done, I feel productive and capable..... until the next injection.  Im seeing my Dr tomorrow to ask him to put me on the same med in tablet form.  I know Im good at taking daily tablets so im not concerned about any relapses.  I know life isnt supposed to be fair but when I work so hard at being healthy and doing everything I can to keep my head above water, getting the monthly jab low is like a real kick in the guts. 

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Roller coaster

hey @lala2, welcome to the forums! I'm so glad you've already found the forums welcoming and supportive. I know from my own experience, reaching out to a new space can be super daunting. So thank you for sharing your story with us ❤️ 

It really does sound like a rollercoaster! Such ups and downs. And like you say, it kinda makes the progress you've made more difficult to maintain. It's a great idea to talk to your doctor about it. Do you feel comfortable advocating for yourself like that? 

I recently met with my psychiatrist and asked for changes to my meds. They were really resistant! But I wrote down all the reasons I wanted to change and the benefits it would bring. It felt so great to be listened to and have my doctors agree with me by the end

Welcome again and take care,

TuxedoCat

Hey @lala2 ,

How are things going?

Thank you Tuxedo Cat! 

Yes I'm lucky to be managed by a G.P who understands and doesn't have a problem with me changing to tablets.  He's just hard to get in to, fortunately the nurse has put me in for an aptmt to sort it out tomorrow.

I wanted to do it over six months ago but back then my Psychiatrist wasn't keen.  I understood because I was not long out of psychosis but the monthly lows are brutal when you are trying to function at a certain level.

I'm also trying to lose weight and am doing a fitness course so I can train myself.  This is always put on the back burner because of the monthly lows though.  That frustrates me a lot and I'm really looking forward to seeing if changing to the tablets is helpful. 

Thanks for reaching out. 

•  

Better now thank you @tyme 

I was able to get a few things done this afternoon and can feel my energy creeping back after a few days in bed.  Thanks for asking, How are you? 

Our bodies can take some time getting used to meds @lala2 - it's not pleasant at first, but then you have to consider, will I be better off without them? This is definitely good to bring up with your GP. 🙂

I'm having a good night tonight. Just chillin on the forums 🙂

@tyme  I have learned the hard way, I'm definitely better off staying on the medication and dealing with the side effects.  Enjoy your night, the weather is lovely where I am tonight.  

I look forward to seeing you around on the forums @lala2 . I'll catch up with you later in the week.

Please take care.

@tyme Thanks heaps, I think Ill be a regular here, you all seem lovely 🙂

Interesting how you describe the timeline of the med effects @lala2 . I'd be interested to find out what the psychs/doctors/pharmacists in your life would have to say about the scenario you describe.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance