Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Ignis
New Contributor

Struggling, Feeling Unreal

Hello Carers,

I am not very good at writing neither am I great at describing so I do apologize in advance if I don't make any sense. I have been feeling this whole year has been super unreal, struggling to understand and cope. The best way to describe it since last year, a wave of stressful events came towards my girlfriend and I. Stressful and traumatic, which had to her to have her DID come to the surface. 

Her other personality known as L (not saying full name for safety reasons) but L basically has declared that she hated me. Is known to be an aggressive personality who screams, wanting to wreck everything, hurt her family which resulted in her constantly getting tied down by the doctors and nurses due to the violence. My girlfriend, N has been the nicest and most lovely partner I have ever had. I never had good experience with past relationships, either getting abused or taken advantage of which N has always been patient and loving with me about. I have always done the best I can to be with N, and to be there with N. 

But as time past, I felt more and more things were getting hidden from me. From her caretaker J, and pretty much up till N made her decision to go through Integration since L was not cooperating as the doctors gave her a choice. The side effect is memory loss, unsure how much she'd lose and who's going to remember. Knowing that..sometime May..was the last time I got in contact with her, making the promise that I'd wait and be patient to keep trying to remind her about us. Fast forwards to 2 months worth of silence, I couldn't contact her. J disappeared...no one was telling me what was going on till I went to her place directly only to be told that she had no idea who I am and that she has no recollection of who I am other than my name. To think 3 years worth of memories would be gone, and that I am this complete stranger. I have managed to reconnect and got to a point of where she does seem to care for me, but at the same time I am unsure where are we at.

All I had was "I don't have feelings for you because I don't remember you". How do people deal with this? Even if I am going as strong as I can be, how do I cope with this? Everyday I felt like I am losing friends that calls me selfish, and walking away. Befriending her behind my back, and siding her...and all I am trying to do..is just keep to the promise that she asked me to me. I miss her a lot, I miss my partner N a lot, I never thought that memory loss would happen throughout this year, and that how patiently I waited to hope that she be better. What more...why did the doctors, caretaker and everyone hid this from me? Now I am roaming around with limited information and trying to understand and find out what happened during the time of her disappearance. It makes me felt like everything I did was for nothing, I feel so unreal. Like I don't exist. This is so hard, even though I am doing my best to try and pull it back to place.

I am sorry if this sounded selfish and upsetting. I just don't know the answers, I feel like everyone is trying to keep her away from me and I am just chasing an empty canvas. there's a lot I wish to write but..I don't know how to continue to write as this is a hard experience for me to talk about. I don't know how to cope.

I don't want to lose her..I really don't want to lose anymore people that I care about so much..

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Struggling, Feeling Unreal

@Ignis  Gosh, I can certainly hear your pain as you write. It’s a terrible experience to try to live through. I can hear how much you care about N. All I can honestly suggest is reading up about DID yourself. There are some helpful books written now which might give you some idea of what you are dealing with.

There is material on the Sane site also.

I don’t know if you want to join in other conversations on the forums, but you are welcome.

Welcome to the forums.

Thank you @Maggie but I'm truthfully struggling a lot and honestly at this point unsure on how to go forward. Having between feeling like I don't exist like everything is not real and being the only one who knew of this throughout other than J is hard. I'm doing the best I can to be there for N, but it seems like only seems to be mainly me or people connected to me. She's forgotten somewhat including bad memories. Makes me sometimes wonder if I was consider a bad memory by L.. 

N has been treating me like a stranger which makes complete sense because she does not remember me but yet there's still traces of her. The her I know, but honestly I'm struggling a lot to deal with this. There are days of where she would be extremely cold and just "disappear" and pop off to do her own thing but then return when she needs well.. Something or wants to spend time with me.. Any sign of getting closer and intimate will cause her to generalize everything as "I do that with everyone" 

Thank you for welcoming me. 

@Ignis  Maybe seek out some counseling for yourself. You are a person in this also, and you are hurting and struggling. There might be some relief and or understanding.

I understand if it’s better just left as is though. Take care where you can.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance