Forums Home

Lived Experience Forum

Acceptance, connection, support. Share the journey.

Safe, anonymous discussion for people living with mental illness, moderated 24/7 by mental health professionals.

Read the community guidelines
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Highlighted
Contributor

Struggling with attacking voices

Hi all, 

I am really stuggling with constant bullying attacking voices that I hear wherever I go. 

Its very distressing. I want to lash out, but what good will that do? 

Medications are helping but I get agitated. Voices makes it feels like everyone is out to get me. I am resilient but it just feels like i am fighting a loosing cause. 

Fighting bullies in real life is easier because you know who they are. My illness makes it look like i am surrounded by bullies all the time. 

Does anyone have any advice for me? Any tricks ? any good books to read how to cope with derogative voices? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Struggling with attacking voices

Hey there.
I know how you feel I have them too. I put on headphones and watch Netflix. The same shows over and over again. Sometimes this helps a lot other times it does not help at all. It's the closest I have had that actually helps even the tiniest but

@Mavrixx9  Hi Mavrixx9 how long have you been on your meds? if it is for a short time you might need to give the meds more time to settle the voices. Also have you been back to your doc about your voices? What I did was all negative when I had attacking voices so I am of little help unfortunately Smiley Sad .... go back to your doc and maybe your meds can be tweaked. Love greenpea

I recently stopped paying attention to my voices @Mavrixx9 after having them for ten years.

I agree with @Emo_forever that playing music makes a big difference.

I listen to quiet music for the mind on my and am able to lessen my thoughts and walk around outside with my headphones. It is still troubling me a bit.

I guess this is a distraction but it works. I hope you find find talking about it helps. It is hard to navigate and hope for the best for you.

Listening to music does help.

Need to learn to dismiss those unhelpful negative voices.

mine arent loud mostly so as long as i have other noise around me mostly i can ignore them and pretend it was the tv or the music but sometimes i just tell them straight up to F-off which sometimes works other times not. also talking to people face to face sometimes helps like forces you to focus on their words but thats just me idk sorry i am terrible help. 

so.... 

Its been 2 weeks. The things that have helped lately;

1) Chamomile tea with turmeric, black pepper, ginger, lemon slices

2) Facing the world - not isolating myself - to suffer is to endure is it not ?

3) Steam vapour inhalation - eucayptus and lavender oil 

4) Eating home cooked meals instead of junk food 

5) No more candy - sugars

6) More raw fruits 

GP said perhaps eating rubbish and too much sugar contributed to voices, the depression and distress that comes from it. 

I am grateful I still have that fighting spirit - there may not be a cure for us voice hearers yet so we will have to endure until cured. This too shall pass.

For urgent assistance, call:

Skylight Logo

Address: 5 Cooke Terrace,
Wayville SA 5034
Phone: (08) 8378 4100
ABN: 85 595 741 081

Follow Us

Contact Us

Client 1

Skylight respectfully acknowledges Aboriginal people as the traditional custodians of South Australia and celebrates all people who call this land home