Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

TW side effects

Warning this contains mentions of weight issues and could be triggering for some. 

I am currently suffering badly from med side effects that i have begged and pleaded with my doctors to take me off the meds so that they will go away but they wont take me off them and i am on a treatment order so i am left having to live with them one in particular is causing immense distress and a huge reduction in quality of life, i have gained so much weight it is hard to do basic things for myself physically that is i can not walk far or shower properly because if i stand too long i pass out and anyway i will save you all the horrid details but i dont know what to do in the past 6 months i have tried a weightloss medication combined with diet and exercise and i GAINED weight still there is nothing more i can do i am eating hardly anything and doing all i can to move around despite my back injury which causes immense pain i am completely lost and dont know what to do anymore and it is making me feel hopeless and like there is no point being here plus it is setting off my eating disorder like crazy. i am not sure what is left. 

14 REPLIES 14

Re: TW side effects

Hearing you loud and clear @Eden1919 . I've lost count of the number of forumites battling weight gain and diabetes due to side effects with some meds well known for it. It's a hideous choice because as you know it's not really a choice at all. 

It caught up with me earlier this year and I've made progress with diet and exercise but may not have if I hadn't also reduced the problematic med. 

It's extraordinarily difficult to discuss SMART goals to deal with these issues on the forums because the M stands for measurable but quantifying diet and exercise is strictly forbidden.  We support each other through encouragement and mutual recognition but can't share and compare strategies. IMHO it's a public health catastrophe for the affected subset of the forum community that deserves recognition and action.

Dimity 

Hi @Eden1919
@Dimity 
I just wanted to say that your voice and the voices of others like you in similar situations is being heard loud and clear by people outside of this forum. The people hearing you appear to have their hearts in the right place and hopefully are in a position to make a difference.

I wish I could tell you that changes will happen quickly but I am not optimistic. As you know from your own experiences, there is fierce opposition to our cause and those of us subject to these abuses and our supporters are unfortunately a minority.

The best thing I think we can do at the moment is to be a very vocal minority so posts like yours are welcomed, encouraged and have the potential to help us all. 

Cheers 
Willy

@Eden1919   in the same boat you have my sympathy 😶

I hear you all loud and clear. It is so hard to be given medication and have no say in how we are continually affected by such meds. 

I am sure there has to be a better way and this is one reason I am now studying nutrition.

Stand together @greenpea @greenpea @Willy @Dimity 

That's a great goal @Eve7 . I've had a lot of help from a diet and exercise coach who has dual qualifications in community pharmacy and nutrition. 

@Eden1919 @Willy @greenpea advocacy is needed but I don't know where to start - SANE needs to take it on board @wellwellwellnez @chibam 

@Dimity 

@Eden1919 

@Eve7 

@greenpea 

Hi Dimity
Advocacy is definitely needed, more so than I think many of us actually realise.
I was personally blindsided by "the system" when they came after me not that long ago. 

I am not optimistic about SANE taking on any advocacy role. I am finding it difficult enough to get them to even look at some of their own internal issues which make it difficult to report on and get feedback from interested members on advocacy initiatives.

I will  attempt to make another post about advocacy soon but it is likely that the SANE admin will again block my post no matter how hard I try and how many hours I spend carefully wording my posts  to comply with their guidelines. 

In the meantime rest assured that things are definitely happening slowly but surely outside of this forum.

Regards
Willy

In what arena do you see the reforms coming @Willy ? Presumably not pharma. 

@Dimity 

@Eden1919 

@Eve7 

@greenpea 

Hi Dimity

A few weeks ago I was asked to provide/suggest a "manifesto" for reform

Without needing to think much about it I proposed the World Health Organisation (WHO) Comprehensive Heath Action Plan 2013-2030

WHO mental health action plan 2013-2030 

The WHO world mental health report 2022  is another interesting document

WHO world mental health report 2022 

The immediate and highest priority focus at the moment is to stop the overuse/abuse/misuse of involuntary treatment and confinement. Australia is considered to be one of the worst countries in the world for this. At this stage it is looking likely that this will involve an Australian high court challenge.

Regards
Willy

I hope you're doing OK in the hotter weather @Eden1919 . 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance