Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

jamesle2015
Senior Contributor

'stale' thoughts

I keep getting 'stale' memories from work..not good ones

I wish it would stop but I can't get rid of them

3 REPLIES 3

Re: 'stale' thoughts

Hi. I can relate to being so fixated on a negative thought and not being able to let go of it. 

I have heard that doing something really physically busy outside is an amazing way to push those thoughts out. 

I have to remember to do that when I have those unwanted thoughts that you are talking about. I haven't tried it yet 

Hope those thoughts bugger off soon and give you some peace

Hi @jamesle2015 , it sounds like these thoughts are really intrusive. Do you want to share what makes these thoughts stale? Are they bad memories?

One of the things that really helps me when I've got lots of bad thoughts in my head is keeping busy and also changing my scenery. I often find I get more bad thoughts when I'm alone in my bedroom, so if I move to the living room it kind of clears my head a bit. Whether it's going for a walk, cooking some food or watching Netflix, any kind of distraction really helps me block out the negative thoughts and keep going!

@cerseigirlI can't 'go for a walk' as I am agoraphobic

the negative thoughts are things that happen at work ...I can recall exactly what happened...

the problem is someone at work asked me something then I had to think back to what happened

and that triggered the negative images....then I can't get rid of them

when I am not at work I can see everyone there ...

I should go back to work tomorrow but I can't

Easter Monday is there for people who went somewhere to get back from wherever they went ...

not for me

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance