Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Minds Together: Helping Family and Friends // Tuesday 30th May 2023 5:30-7PM AEST

Suicidal thoughts are not uncommon but are often concerning to hear. While it can be challenging to understand, some people believe they are a burden on others and think their loved ones would be better off without them. People who feel suicidal are experiencing intense emotional pain. They want to stop this pain and see suicide as an answer.

People may talk about suicide directly (e.g., talking about a plan to take their own life) or indirectly (speaking abstractly about death or referencing suicide in media or art). Any statement about death or suicide must be taken seriously. I know it’s hard, but it’s important to talk openly about suicide and suicidal distress.

A lot of people think that talking about suicide will increase the chance of people acting on it. But talking about suicide may reduce, rather than increase, suicidal ideation. Opening this conversation helps people find an alternative view of their existing circumstances. If someone is in crisis or depressed, asking if he or she is thinking about suicide can help, so don't hesitate to start the conversation.

Being open about suicide also helps to reduce stigma, supports help-seeking, and reminds them they are not alone.

The Minds Together online program might be of help. This is a free program for family and friends supporting someone who has attempted suicide. It covers topics such as “What is suicide?”, “How to talk about suicide”, “How to cope with the difficult feelings that come up in this situation”, and “How to look after yourself”. You can find the program at mindstogether.org.au

If someone is in immediate danger, please call 000 or visit your nearest hospital emergency. If you're worried about someone's immediate safety, make sure someone stays with them until you can get help. 

For more information on supporting someone with suicidal thoughts, you can contact the following services:

• Lifeline Call: 13 11 14  lifeline.org.au  
  • Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467 suicidecallbackservice.org.au as well as online resources and information.
  • Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636 beyondblue.org.au

Re: Topic Tuesday// Minds Together: Helping Family and Friends // Tuesday 30th May 2023 5:30-7PM AEST

@TideisTurning , @amber22 , @Sally_Everymind  it was very hard , I used to cry in the bathroom and my husband did not want the families to know only myself and his daughter as she has been through it before 

over time with the Sane forum  I have been able to keep on keeping on even though feeling strange for keeping everything a secret

Suicidal thoughts are not uncommon but are often concerning to hear. While it can be challenging to understand, some people believe they are a burden on others and think their loved ones would be better off without them. People who feel suicidal are experiencing intense emotional pain. They want to stop this pain and see suicide as an answer.

People may talk about suicide directly (e.g., talking about a plan to take their own life) or indirectly (speaking abstractly about death or referencing suicide in media or art). Any statement about death or suicide must be taken seriously. I know it’s hard, but it’s important to talk openly about suicide and suicidal distress.

A lot of people think that talking about suicide will increase the chance of people acting on it. But talking about suicide may reduce, rather than increase, suicidal ideation. Opening this conversation helps people find an alternative view of their existing circumstances. If someone is in crisis or depressed, asking if he or she is thinking about suicide can help, so don't hesitate to start the conversation.

Being open about suicide also helps to reduce stigma, supports help-seeking, and reminds them they are not alone.

The Minds Together online program might be of help. This is a free program for family and friends supporting someone who has attempted suicide. It covers topics such as “What is suicide?”, “How to talk about suicide”, “How to cope with the difficult feelings that come up in this situation”, and “How to look after yourself”. You can find the program at mindstogether.org.au

If someone is in immediate danger, please call 000 or visit your nearest hospital emergency. If you're worried about someone's immediate safety, make sure someone stays with them until you can get help. 

For more information on supporting someone with suicidal thoughts, you can contact the following services:

Lifeline Call: 13 11 14

Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467

Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636 

yes over the years I have learnt not to say anything @TideisTurning , @Sally_Everymind , @amber22 , just to sit next to my husband xx

@Sally_Everymind , i think my husband's suicide attempts were on the spur of the moment acts which are kind of hard  

@Shaz51 I think you giving some very good advice in what must have been very difficult circumstances. We still don't understand what moves people from thinking about suicide to acting on it. But the impact of that decision affects not only the person in distress, but also those around them. There is no easy answer about what to do next, what to say, or how to feel. But I agree that listening can be one of the most powerful things you do. And seeking support from others who have been in a similar situation. 

Onto our next question...

How might you be able to communicate with the person you support about what they are going through and what you are experiencing as their carer and loved one?  

@Sally_Everymind 

@amber22 , @Sally_Everymind , @TideisTurning 

as a wife , sometimes I get that feeling of "will it happen again " 

what can I do to help myself coping with the IF 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance