Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

ArraDreaming
Senior Contributor

Weeklong Discussion: Gardening For Mental Health

Every day starting today for a week, I will be posting about gardening and it’s influence on mental health. 

Follow along for a post each day about gardening. 
Support this post to receive a tag when a post is made.

From your friendly local gardener, 

DE614747-9482-47C4-8EAB-785647CEE9EE.jpeg

49 REPLIES 49

Re: Weeklong Discussion: Gardening For Mental Health

Tomorrow is world naked gardening day @ArraDreaming
I’m on a plant Facebook group and there is always some weird and wacky photos !

Ok @Bow well we WONT be posting about that 😂

Great idea @ArraDreaming Glad you are being circumspect!

@Bow 's post really made me LOL. Never heard that one before!

I've never heard of it either @Bow ! LOL.

I love this Gardening Discussion! Good on you @ArraDreaming . I'm interested to see how it pans out.

We got off to a great start with many comments but had a slight delay in posting day  1 but here go. 

Day 1:

Gardening has many benefits for mental health. The act of nurturing of something to grow and then reaping the rewards of your hard work is one benefit, giving yourself an opportunity to get outside amongst nature is another.
My focus for this would like to be on edible gardens as nobody is immune to the rising costs of living and purchasing fresh food. 
Edible gardens can created in small or large spaces, and the work involved depends on how much you want to grow, the different varieties etc.

This all relates back to mental health to me, when we put the right things in place to support our mental health, the benefits and the changes are often happening under the surface, and as a result we become lifted in our presentation and how we go about our day, just like our plants grow taller and look stronger.

I hope by reading this you are inspired and see the link between plants and mental health. For me I Spend every day in either my home garden or the nursery I work at. Being amongst plants, giving them what they need to grow and being consumed by the nature that plants bring (birds, bugs) makes me feel very calm. I can often spend time focusing on the plants to help give me a break from other things weighing on my mind, or a quite time to think about things.

4192D0A6-E3BB-41BA-8C17-A074D0DC932D.jpeg

You're welcome to tune into this Gardening thread each day for the next week! Or click 'support' on the initial post and I'll make sure to tag you when a new post is made

@Oaktree  @tyme @Krishna @Vanessa08 @Dimity @Appleblossom @Historylover 

Thanks @ArraDreaming 

This post sounds like what I am doing in my greenhouse at the moment. Focussing on the edible garden!

Meggle

What are you growing @Oaktree
If you follow along I will have some growing tips

Agreed. Not only does a home garden cut the cost of things, I find the veges etc taste so so different! Like what REAL veges should taste! @ArraDreaming @Oaktree @Appleblossom @Bow 

@ArraDreaming 

Basil, parsley, lettuce, spinach, carrots, garlic chives, thyme, cucumbers and shallots.

Meggle

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance