Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

0verwhelmed
New Contributor

My housemate is in psychosis and I don’t know how to help them.

My housemate has a history of psychosis and has had approximately 5 episodes now. He discontinued his antipsychotic medication a few months ago without consulting his doctor. He had an episode last weekend with delusions of grandeur and paranoia that I thought ended Sunday night - at this time he was highly distressed and suicidal and acknowledged he needed to take his medication. He seemed to improve for a day but has become increasingly withdrawn and confused since then and hasn’t been going to work without contacting his employer. The only reason I found out this is because I’m listed as his emergency contact and they called me this afternoon asking if he was okay. I asked him if everything was okay and he expressed the same delusions as over the weekend. He maintains he’s been taking his meds and took one in front of me. He doesn’t want to access or care as he doesn’t recognise he needs it. 
I have no idea how to help him and am really concerned. I want to respect his right to refuse treatment but it feels wrong to wait until he’s crisis to call on his behalf or he calls. I don’t know what to do. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: My housemate is in psychosis and I don’t know how to help them.

Hello @0verwhelmed and welcome. I'm sorry noone has yet acknowledged or answered your post.

As someone who's experienced psychosis, and who also looks out for a family member who's unwell, I appreciate your concern. You're a good friend to your housemate. I suggest you continue to stand by them. When appropriate gently encourage them in seeing their gp or mental health practitioner. Other than contacting the local crisis team or emergency services if they're in crisis it's hard to intervene. I trust they'll recover before reaching that point. When they are well again, I wonder if they'd be open to discussing a contingency plan of how they'd like things to be and what they'd like you to do if/when they are unwell, and how they might recognise when it would be wise to seek help.

It's not easy @0verwhelmed and I wish you well. Look after yourself, seek your own supports, reach out to others, please maintain hope that things will get better.  There's a SANE Helpline staffed 10-10 M-F if talking to someone would help. 

Dimity

Re: My housemate is in psychosis and I don’t know how to help them.

I notice only one reply to your post.

How are you coping now, three months later ?

YB
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance