Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

m-the-rad
Casual Contributor

Process of reporting to AHPRA

I have unfortunately had a bad experience with a Clinical Psychologist. I don't want anyone else to be harmed by what I feel was a very poor standard of care. I respectfully requested an opportunity to address my concerns with her directly, but she refused. So I have decided to notify AHPRA.

I have written a statement, but I haven't yet gone ahead with lodging the actual notification. It's a complex situation that needed context to explain, so the statement is long - 2500 words - which I imagine is uncommon. I'm anxious that this won't be taken seriously. 

I've never done anything like this before. I am so fearful of speaking up. 

Does anyone have experience or insight with reporting someone to AHPRA? 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Process of reporting to AHPRA

Sorry @m-the-rad I do not have experience, but I would like to report someone myself.  Just sending you support.

Hey @m-the-rad I'm sorry to hear you have had this experience. It looks like there is an option to make a complaint or lodge a concern on their website. 

I hope this won't discourage you from seeking support. I would encourage you to give our counsellors a call if you wanted to chat to someone about it. 1800 187 263.

All the best!

I recommend you make a synopsis of your letter and submit that as an initial report, while following up with your more detailed account as step 2 of your complaint process. @m-the-rad 

Thank you I think this might be the way to go

Hi @m-the-rad 

First I would like to welcome you to the forum - I am sure you will find encouragement here.

Personally I know nothing about AHPRA - but I do encourage you to let them know of your concerns - I think it's vitally important.

If something unsatisfactory has happened to you it has most likely happened to someone else and your intervention might stop it from happening to someone in the future. This is a good thing.

I started writing letters to newspapers when I was very young - eventually the editions, politicians and other authorities that have treated me with less dignity than any reasonable person would normally respect - and I support you - it seems you have taken some time to write a report - great work.

I also let people know in writing when I am pleased - it might be a little card or an email - it is always pleasing to them.

Being assertive is a great habit and I believe it improves with practice - I do wish you the best and I also hope this experience doesn't stop you from seeking help in the future

Owlunar

Thank you very much

@m-the-rad - I just posted about this in the Something's Not Right area (I think it was there). It's about my Medical Negligence situation & what actions I could/should take & the watch outs & advice others may have. No real replies yet, but my lists of research of the steps & the actions might be helpful to you. And if I do learn anything I'll be sure to share it. I'll go tag you in it. Best,

Hmm, it won't let me tag you in my post The heading says "Medical Negligence: Taking Legal Actio &/or Making Complaints".

Thank you I will do a search
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance