Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Surfergirl1
New Contributor

Anxiety and trauma

How does one deal with seeing their mum beaten up as a kid. I still carry this burden on my shoulders day to day. I know that my dad's behaviour was not right and I am aware of it.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Anxiety and trauma

@Surfergirl1 

Welcome to forum. Its nice to meet you. I am sorry you witnessed your mum being mistreated by your dad. I understand your anxiety and fear around this and how difficult this would have been for you growing up in this environment. I truly hope you can move forward and heal from this and I find being in nature really helps me and doing the things that give comfort and peace of mind. 

If you type @- brings a dropdown and can tag us.

One step at a time- I wish for you every happiness and success moving forward. 

@Surfergirl1  Another welcome from me.

I’m sorry you witnessed that behaviour as a child. I don’t know if you see a counsellor or not, but sometimes , it helps to talk to someone. It doesn’t change it, but it might help your life move forward.

It you feel like meeting others on the forums, you are welcome to join any conversations.

I hope to see you around.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Surfergirl1, I'm so sorry you and your mum experienced that Heart

Given something so awful, it's not surprising you still feel the impacts of this.

I'm not sure if you've ever engaged with professional supports, but if not I really cannot recommend it enough 💐

In case you're not aware (generally I don't think a great deal of people are!), people who've experienced - including witnessed - domestic/family violence in Australia have access to specific support, including a substantial amount of free counselling. Here is what people in NSW can access - it's my understanding that each state offers a similar scheme if you're located elsewhere. 

I'm accessing it myself and it's been critical to my own recovery, coming to terms with what happened, and having ongoing care Heart

Sending lots of support your way 🌻

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance