Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Ali0181
New Contributor

Feeling unmotivated

Feeling overwhelmed and stressed out. Any ideas.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Feeling unmotivated

Hi @Ali0181,

Welcome to the Forums. My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. It is nice to have you with us.

I'm sorry to read you are feeling overwhelmed and stressed out - that is something I have definitely felt in the past (and will probably feel again in the future). I'm also sure they are feelings that a lot of our members can relate to. The Forums are a good place to seek support and understanding as a lot of the Forums are built around lived experience and peer support. 

I can only offer you my experience around what I do when I feel the way you are currently feeling and that is try and prioritise what is important and `urgent' against what can wait. I used to think a lot about future plans, what needed to do next month, next year etc. Now I just try to focus on today, what I need to get through and let tomorrow be tomorrow's problem. I know that's not always possible if you have appointments, work commitments etc but as much as I can I really try to compartmentalise each day.

I also do my best to let go of things I can't control. I use to worry about the state of the world, my friends, my family etc. Now I have come to realise I have very little control over a lot of things and all my worrying doesn't help anyway so I focus on what is within my control and outside that I let it go (as much as I can - sometimes it easier said than done I know). Another technique that might work is journalling how you are feeling - sometimes just putting our feelings down on paper can really help.

If you are feeling consistently overwhelmed and stressed to the point where you are finding it hard to function in your everyday life, sleep, eat, think etc you might want to reach out to your doctor for further support. Alternatively you might like to contact the SANE Support Centre which is available to support you from 10am-10pm Monday to Friday. We have counsellors and peer support workers available to support you via phone (1800 187 263) or webchat.

We also have the SANE Guided services which is our new guided service that provides free digital and telehealth services and ongoing tailored support to people over 18 years of age with complex mental health needs and their families and carers SANE Guided Service

I wish you all the best and look forward to reading what other members may suggest.

Warm regards,

FloatingFeather 

PS. Just a couple of tips to help you navigate the Forums:

Tip 1 - if you want to directly chat with someone on the Forums use the @ symbol and then start typing their name directly after it. A dropdown box should appear, and you then select their name. This ensures that they are notified of any posts you mention them in.

Tip 2 – the most recent posts are the latest page numbers.

Hi @Ali0181 

Welcome to the forums. I hope you find some connection and support here. Sorry you're feeling so low right now, it sounds really tough. I'm wondering if one of two of the below techniques you might find helpful. I've cut and pasted the document from Harvard Health.

Hope to see you around here on the forums.

Hanami

Six relaxation techniques to reduce stress

Practicing even a few minutes per day can provide a reserve of inner calm

We all face stressful situations throughout our lives, ranging from minor annoyances like

traffic jams to more serious worries, such as a loved one's grave illness. No matter what the cause, stress floods your body with hormones. Your heart pounds, your breathing speeds up, and your muscles tense.

This so-called "stress response" is a normal reaction to threatening situations honed in our prehistory to help us survive threats like an animal attack or a flood. Today, we rarely face these physical dangers, but challenging situations in daily life can set off the stress

response. We can't avoid all sources of stress in our lives, nor would we want to. But we

can develop healthier ways of responding to them.

One way is to invoke the "relaxation response," through a technique first developed in the

1970s at Harvard Medical School by cardiologist Dr. Herbert Benson, editor of the Harvard Medical School Special Health Report Stress Management: Approaches for preventing and reducing stress. The relaxation response is the opposite of the stress response. It's a state of profound rest that can be elicited in many ways. With regular practice, you create a well of calm to dip into as the need arises.

Following are six relaxation techniques that can help you evoke the relaxation response and reduce stress.

Breath focus.

In this simple, powerful technique, you take long, slow, deep breaths (also

known as abdominal or belly breathing). As you breathe, you gently disengage your mind

from distracting thoughts and sensations. Breath focus can be especially helpful for people with eating disorders to help them focus on their bodies in a more positive way. However, this technique may not be appropriate for those with health problems that make breathing difficult, such as respiratory ailments or heart failure.

Body scan.

This technique blends breath focus with progressive muscle relaxation. After a few minutes of deep breathing, you focus on one part of the body or group of muscles at a time and mentally releasing any physical tension you feel there. A body scan can help boost your awareness of the mind-body connection. If you have had a recent surgery that affects your body image or other difficulties with body image, this technique may be less helpful for you.

Guided imagery.

For this technique, you conjure up soothing scenes, places, or experiences in your mind to help you relax and focus. You can find free apps and online recordings of calming scenes—just make sure to choose imagery you find soothing and that has personal significance. Guided imagery may help you reinforce a positive vision of yourself, but it can be difficult for those who have intrusive thoughts or find it hard to conjure up mental images.

Mindfulness meditation.

This practice involves sitting comfortably, focusing on your breathing, and bringing your mind's attention to the present moment without drifting into concerns about the past or the future. This form of meditation has enjoyed increasing popularity in recent years. Research suggests it may be helpful for people with anxiety, depression, and pain.

Yoga, tai chi, and qigong.

These three ancient arts combine rhythmic breathing with a series of postures or flowing movements. The physical aspects of these practices offer a mental focus that can help distract you from racing thoughts. They can also enhance your flexibility and balance. But if you are not normally active, have health problems, or a painful or disabling condition, these relaxation techniques might be too challenging. Check with your doctor before starting them.

Repetitive prayer.

For this technique, you silently repeat a short prayer or phrase from a prayer while practicing breath focus. This method may be especially appealing if religion or

spirituality is meaningful to you.

sometimes when if feel overwhelmed and stressed out i take a long walk even down the street, it allows me to think and understand why i am feeling the way i feel and solutions come up. i call it taking a step back, it does wonders for me maybe it can work for you also.

great ideas @FloatingFeather , @hanami , @les398 

hello and welcome @Ali0181 

Feeling overwhelmed and stressed out about what ? 

I use acupressure to regulate my emotions.  You can use these for stress and overwhelm @Ali0181:

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/acupressure-points-for-overwhelm

Hey there @Ali0181 

I'm sorry that you're feeling very overwhelmed at the moment, I've definitely been there before. I just wanted to let you know that I'm sitting with you, and that you've done the best thing for yourself by reaching out for some advice and support here on the forums. 

Some things that have really helped me when I'm feeling anxious, overwhelmed or stressed include: 

- Taking my little dog for a walk, seeing her trotting along happily always puts me in a better space of mind. 

- Having a long hot bath with a book (and putting my phone down! I have a bit of trouble disconnecting myself from technology and my phone, so having a long bath and only taking a book in there helps me with that). 

- Watching a feel good movie (these usually consist of ones that I watched as a kid, a lot of disney and pixar!) 

- Writing down what is actually bothering me (sometimes it can feel like a whirlwind is inside my head but I don't actually know what I am worrying about because so much is happening, so writing down a list can help put it into perspective for me, and it usually turns out that there is not as many thoughts and I had originally anticipated.) 

I hope some of these help you too, it's very personal to what works for you and what relaxes you/ gets your mind off of things. Sometimes the best thing for stress is to distract yourself for a little bit, especially if the worries don't seem to go away. If they feel a little bit confronting for you to face at the moment, try doing something that will lift your spirits a bit so that you feel more capable of facing them. 

Sending hugs,

Amber22

Hi @les398,

Welcome to the Forums - it's nice to have you with us. Thank you for your suggestion around ways to help reduce feelings of being overwhelmed and stressed out. I think going for a walk is a great idea and can really be beneficial in helping reduce stress. I'm glad you have found this helpful.

I look forward to seeing you around the Forums.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather 

🙏

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance