Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Kilpa4
Casual Contributor

First post

Hi all,

new to the forum.

I have a 20 year old son with ocd and other anxieties.  He is about to start an assessment for Autism.  Some days I just don't know how to help him.  And I worry about him, spending all his days in his room.  I recently left my job to support him better, but I don't know if anything is making a difference.  He is happy in his room. Safe i guess from the germs.

2 REPLIES 2
hanami
Senior Contributor

Re: First post

Welcome to the Forums. My name is Hanami and I am one of the peer workers at SANE. It is great to have you here. I'm sorry to hear about how things are for you right now. As a parent it's one of the worst feelings that you can't seem to help your child. Hopefully the assessment results will be helpful. 

A good place to start for your own wellbeing is to maybe have a look at some carer's organisations for support. Here are the links to two:

Carer Gateway 

Carers Australia 

I'm wondering if your son might be open to connecting with an organisation that offers support for younger Australians,  It also has a parents section so it might be something you may be interested in too: Reachout.

I hope some others can chime in with some tips for you on how best to support your son. 

Warmest wishes

Hanami

Re: First post

Hi @Kilpa4,

Welcome to the Forums. My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. It is nice to have you with us.

I feel for you and your son. I have three kids, two are young adults so I know how much us mums worry about our children regardless of their age. It's so hard when we are on the `sidelines' wanting to help but not always knowing (or able) how too. 

It's good to know that he is happy in his room at least. My son (also 20) went through a hard time in senior school when he spent a lot of time in his room depressed and kept to himself a lot so I understand your worry about your son always being in his room. 

Does your son have any friends he could go out with / come over to your house? Would he be interested in going out to see a movie, have a coffee etc with you / a friend? 

Being a mum is hard, I think we just want to makes things better for our kids and sometimes that isn't always possible. It does sound like your son has a great mum that really cares about him. I do hope you have someone to lean on and cares about you too. 

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance