Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Dark_Olena
Senior Contributor

Hi, I am after some info on 'who uses a support co ordinator' in a NDIS review plan

Hi, I am a nominated person for my daughter and handle all her ndis, I'm also her mother. I hear this word 'Support Co  Ordinator'  would having one be a good idea. I already feel like I do too much, I wanted to do less. Will a support co ordinator makes choices or set things up made by choices from us. I also get the feeling like NDIS dont hand this idea out too easily. I have bought this idea up to our LAC and its like I never spoke, he just talked about other things.

I am mentally drained and tired. Would a support co ordinator be good or more hassle than its worth. I also not  completely sure of  the role of support co ordinator.

Thankyou for your help.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Hi, I am after some info on 'who uses a support co ordinator' in a NDIS review plan

Hi

I have used a Support Coordinator for my NDIS plan. It was handy to have but I didn't get enough hours for them to help me throughout the whole plan period. They are great with providing options on services that I didn't know about. I felt I had to teach them to have a fighting spirit when it came to resolving issues with providers. They helped connect my services together when I was in hospital. It's worth having a good one.

Re: Hi, I am after some info on 'who uses a support co ordinator' in a NDIS review plan

Hi @Dark_Olena

From my understanding, as @JasJac has said, among other things, support coordinators can help provide options and can help connect and link you with services. This information page from the NDIS might give you a little more information though, and I'll also tag @eth & @Shaz51 in case they have any insights they'd like to share.  All the very best with it! 

TideisTurning 💙

Hi @Dark_Olena  pleased to meet you.  I have a support co-ordinator funded in my plan (level 2 in the NDIS page linked above by @TideisTurning ) and they've been invaluable to me.  When I got my first plan I was allocated one from a major organisation that I wasn't a good fit with and it took some time for me to realise (with help from our local disability alliance of pwd peers) that I had the right to 'choice and control' about who my support co-ordinator was.  So I found a new one.  He is a sole-trader and has been excellent in helping link me to activities, work out how things are to be funded (from which part of my plan), advise my plan manager about what's doable, and even helped me do a public housing application.  Basically their job is to help facilitate whatever is needed for you/ your child to participate in something, and to come up with ideas of activities/services that might be helpful for you to work towards your goals in your plan.    I looked for someone who had some education as well as experience and feel I got lucky.  On the NDIS website there's a list of service providers and you could ring around a few support coordinators to ask what they do.  I think this is the page you want for the right link for where you are :

https://www.ndis.gov.au/participants/working-providers/find-registered-provider

You could also just google NDIS support coordinators in your area.

But you do need to have funds for support coordination included in your plan.

Hope this is helpful.

EDIT : my support coordinator will also write a support letter about progress/obstacles to working towards my goals and attend my planning meeting with me.

Hi there,

I care for my sister and rely heavily on a coordinator of supports (COS). The first one I had was pretty terrible so I changed and now have a completely different experience of the NDIS! We now have the right supports, people and strategies in place to genuinely help her- which definitely helps me.

hello @Dark_Olena@Jadedwastaken@JasJac  how are you going today 

Thanks @TideisTurning@eth 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance