Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

GraceFalling
Casual Contributor

Intro

Hi,

I am an artist and also make sci-fi cosutmes and props. Currently studying to become a sociologist. Also have a lovely little cat called Senua (named after the main character in the game HellBlade).

New here but not new to DID forums. Guess I am here for the same reason as everyone else "Is there someone out there that is like me?"

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Intro

Hi @GraceFalling,

It's hard to know if anyone is like you from a paragraph :).  You will need to tell us a bit more about yourself.  What is it about you that makes you want to look for people who are like yourself? 

It certainly is an interesting question you are asking considering you are studying to be a sociologist, i feel your studies are going to give you the ability to find the answer to the question. How are you finding your studies towards being a sociologist, what attracted you to that particular path and how does it work with your strengths in art and science?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum and i look forward to hearing more from you.  

Hi @GraceFalling and welcome to the SANE Forums!

I hope that you are able to find your tribe here, and others who understand what you are going through 😊

You mentioned experience with DID forums, and I thought I might link a discussion with @Former-Member @Former-Member @destructive @Fluttershy1 @Bellarose75 and many more members. It's called Let's talk DID and dissociation 

Daisydreamer 🌼

I think that looking for people like myself means similar interests and life experiences. For example, I have found that growing up in the RAAF is a vastly different experience to growing up in one place/state/country, but has similarities to those who moved constantly for other reasons. I have also found that DID is a spectrum and that our understanding of it is affected by our personaltiies, genetics and life experiences. Mostly now I would like to know that there are other people out there who are aiming at intergration as the end result of therapy, which is what I am aiming at which does not seem to be mentioned much in forums.

As for study, I started out trying to figure out what was wrong with me so the course is psychology based. It wasn't long before I realised what I really wanted to do was find out about a culture/society that I was born in to but alienated from. Luckily the degree included a co-major in sociology so I can major in both and shift to sociology  for the honours year and then a phd. Being creative has helped in that I am able to draw what seems to be largely un-related threads together to form an overall picture and see where the detailed info I am learning fits in to this.

Thanks for asking

Hey @GraceFalling 

Thank you for answering!  I am a curious individual and I love a good conversation.  

Is it okay for me to ask why finding someone like you is important?  Life is such a unique journey, and you mention culture/ society that you used to be part of, do you think about this much?

Thanks

Hi again @AussieRecharger 

My reason for joining forums is to find people approaching DID and EMDR with the same outcome in mind because then I can discuss the process and have give and take on the types of solutions we have found with each other. Why did you join?

Also, what about you? A "good conversation" involves the exchange of information, so what do you do, what do you aspire to, any future plans, are you aiming at eventual integration?

I am curious too 🙂

Hey @GraceFalling 

They sound like awesome reasons and I wish you the best of luck. 

My story is pretty simple.. A few years ago now I had the perfect storm of watching my parents pass on, my work-life turn to crap and then just some family issues all occurring at the same time.  It left me feeling pretty yuk but I am better now. I am on here because I want to give back and help people be people, not just a walking diagnosis. 

sorry I didn't get back sooner, stress is cumulative and all of that were major stressors, no wonder you had trouble, I have found the best way for me to improve my mental health is to eliminate the stressors I can control (I no longer have contact with my family - long story) and work around the stressors I can't control (university- drop to 4 units per year instead of 8, and be glad I manage to pass rather than trying for D's and HD's all the time). I am glad you came through it and you should be proud that you did too.

regards

Debra

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance