Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Historylover
Senior Contributor

Just checking back in for a bit....

Hello everyone.  I haven't been here for a while so I thought I'd just let you know, out of interest sake, how I am getting along.

Well, it has been rather grim to be honest.  I swing from feeling good then, realizing again the mess of my life with no end in sight, I spiral back into despair.  Back and fro.  Sleepless nights etc.  But I've done my best to keep going - one step at a time, one foot in front of the other.

I mentioned last year that my ex-psychiatrist instilled in me a deep passion for education.  (Education! Education! Education!)  I only had a year 10 education as it didn't have the same value when and where I grew up. However when he introduced me to Medicine, Psychiatry, Human Behaviour, Sociology - I was enthralled.  I would not have thought I could ever have aspired to learn about such complicated subjects - but it all starts at the beginning. One step at a time.  And looking back, I see how far I have come. My appetite for learning has never waned. 

Just to be clear - no university learning is involved.  For the most part I am self-taught, and learn from watching others who are expert in their fields and have a deep passion for it.  Youtube is a wealth of knowledge - just waiting to be tapped into.

Last year I enrolled at U3A but it soon went into lockdown.  Some classes continued with Zoom - but while it's better than nothing, I don't like it much.  So I was looking forward to re-starting again this year.

I enrolled in Geology; Science Discussion Class - which unfortunately was cancelled due to insufficient numbers; Vaccines, Immunity and Covid 19; Understanding Weather; German Grammar and also German Conversation.

I'm not going to pretend that it has been easy for me - not the learning bit, but the interactions with all the different personalities I have encountered.  If you recall, I have been living in complete isolation for twenty years so it has all been rather a trial.  I have been going to quit the whole thing every second day, but it seems to be the only place I am finding myself.  I have learned so much in just the first few months of this year, and interacting with others to this extent is enriching when we all find our common ground and work together as a team.

This morning I was feeling dreadful, again wondering if life was all getting to be more than I could manage - then I had my afternoon class and all is bright and bubbly again.  I am in my element there.  I just love it.

What I am trying to say, for those with difficulties aligned with mine, is never rest on your laurels - always try something new, extend yourself beyond what you think yourself capable.  Life is so much more interesting - and so are we.

Also, when things seem that they will envelop you - just keep going.  Find your support wherever it presents.  And good luck with everything you try.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Just checking back in for a bit....

hello @Historylover  and welcome back its great to hear your moving ahead with learning new things,it must be excitingSmiley Happy at the same time sorry to hear of your mental health not being at its best however you are still leaarning and not letting it stop you from learning what your interested in,you sound motivated well doneSmiley Happy

Sounds great @Historylover ! I'm with you about Education. I love learning. 

Funny part is, when Iook back, I have had a school photo every year since the age of 3. After school, I entered the education industry and I've never left.... I've just received my 2021 school photo LOL. It would be awesome for me to line up all my 30+ school photos!

As for uni, I thrive on it. But the prob is finding time to deal with competing demands!

My readings tonight were based of the neuroscience of education. Very interesting indeed! Eg, our memory is affected by motivation, attention and emotion. Our bodies release chemicals to help our memory retain info.

BPDSurvivor

Hello @BPDSurvivor   Yes, the human body is absolutely fascinating.  So much going on, right down to the cellular level - and then some.  Who could have imagined that so many functions can be going on within something so small.  Mind-boggling!

Hey @Historylover 

What are the current youtube channels you have been watching at the moment.  

I am currently watching the "productivity game" channel and also started to enjoy the "old skool". I love philosophy and how before the '70s, they would talk about improving character as the key to happiness, not wealth or stuff which seems to be the promoted means of success in today's society.  I first got into learning all of this stuff when reading the book, the 7 habits of highly effective people?  Have you ever read it?

I totally get how you feel studying.  My wife hears me talk about it at least a couple of times per week only for Monday afternoons to roll around and I have class and I am all energetic again for the subject. 

Have you ever had a look at EDx for doing courses?

Hope you having a good day.

@AussieRecharger   As to the youtube channels I have been watching - I have a passion for medical matters.

While extremely ill, many years ago, I studied medical text books for about 6 - 8 years then hadn't looked at them again for perhaps 20 years.  I decided to look into youtube last year and found Dr. Najeeb's medical lectures - to medical students, and sometimes to doctors.  He is an excellent lecturer and students sit enthralled - as did I.  I was amazed at how much I understood and would never have expected it as I would not have previously taken 'self-taught' so seriously - which is why I do so now.

I am also looking into Ninja Nerd to assist my current courses.  They are very helpful.  I always find it helpful to take subjects on from many different angles. 

That's keeping me busy enough at the moment.

Personally, I have never been into philosophy per se - different courses for different horses - but I am all for improving character, however improving one's lot in life has to be part of it also.  

No, I have never seen any EDx courses. I'll have a look into it.  And no, I have never read the 7 habits of highly successful people.  Google tells me they are:  be proactive, begin with the end in mind, put first things first, think win-win, seek first to understand - then to be understood, synergize, sharpen the saw.

For me, it is simply - never rest on your laurels.

Best wishes, and I hope you are having a good day too.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance