Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Skeg
New Contributor

My partner unwell with schizophrenia and ptsd

• Hi all.  I'm new here but trying to understand and support the woman I have fallen in love with over the last three years. 
  • We are in the final stages of moving house which has ment my partner has had a lot of triggers lately added to Anzac day (she has served in a few conflicts) and her ex wedding anniversary as well as repressed traumatic memories. Which can explain some of her family behaviour. 
  • Long story shot she attacked me the other night in a vicious assault. At no stage did she look like hurting the kids and seemed to be trying to save them or protect them.  We got her to hospital after a few hours as she wandered off and the hospital did not even assess her and released her to go care even though there is a mental health team and wing.
  • We all went to bed and after a few hours she got up and attacked me again.  This time I ended up in hospital.  I got the kids to safety again. 
  • She has never been violent or anything other then loving. She had come off her meds due to long covid
  • Now there is ivo in place and her son and my son have been taken away by our ex partners.  I don't know how to support her.  She is in care at the moment.  I don't even know if I will ever be able to sleep next to her or even if she will return to her loving self.  Right now I don't believe she realises what has happened and the repocusions. I believe that she will not even be allowed to see her own son alone for a long while.  This will break her again I fear.  I love her so much and am so confused
3 REPLIES 3

Re: My partner unwell with schizophrenia and ptsd

Hi @Skeg,

Welcome to the forum. Good on your on reaching out for help. I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you and your loved ones. This must be a very difficult moment for you. It's good to hear your partner is receiving some support. How about you? Are you considering getting some support for yourself?

Hi @Skeg,

Welcome to the Forums. My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. I'm really sorry to read how hard things have been for you, your partner and your children. I can only imagine how tough things are for you all.  

I can tell by what you have written how much you care for your partner. She is lucky to have such a supportive partner in you. It is good that your partner is currently receiving care and I really hope she is getting the support she needs. I would also encourage you to reach out for support as this is a lot for you as well. 

There are a few organisations I will list here that may be useful for you to reach out to for more specific support around the situation. Three carer organisations that may be of benefit to you and an organisation called Open Arms which provides free and confidential counselling to anyone who has served at least one day in the Australian Defence Force, and their families.

Carer Gateway 

Carers Australia 

Mental Health Carers Australia 

Open Arms 

I would also encourage you to learn as much as you can around schizophrenia and ptsd to help you have a better understanding of what is going on for your partner and how you may help. I am a carer for a close family member with a serious mental health diagnosis. Initially their diagnosis was scary, confusing and confronting for all of us but with time, education, and support things got better. Yes there was a new normal in a lot of ways but there is also a lot of hope.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather 

Trying to understand her condition and trying to find help to do that because when she no longer can say she loves me but believes she is not well it is hard

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance