Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Trauma_Scars
Casual Contributor

Newbie Here - Hello

Hi there,

I am new here and just wanted to say hi and introduce myself a little. I'm a 34 year old woman who has a wonderful husband and a mum to a 12 year old son who is my world. My family are the most important part of my life and I take a lot of pride in being a mum and hope I'm doing a good job.

Both my husband and son have Tourettes Syndrome, although our son is currently undiagnosed as his Paed wants to wait until after puberty. Our son has High Functioning Austism with Anxiety being a daily challenge. My hubby also has ADHD that he is struggling with at the moment and is questioning whether to go through diagnosis of ASD for himself (he difinitely fits the diagnosis).

I know all of that is about my boys, but it effects how our lives function and gives a little insight to some of the stressors in my life that are a constant.

Ok, my turn now....

I've struggled with Depression & Anxiety for what feels like most of my life, I did not address these issues until my mid 20's. I have a history of Self harm, which began at 14 and grew up in a family that did not talk about feelings and pushed problems under the rug. I don't remember how old I was, I think it was before I started school, when my Dad told me not to cry because it's embarrassing and I had no reason to cry because I had a roof over my head, food in my belly and other people had it way worse.

Happy was the acceptable emotion to express and so I became very skilled at "wearing a mask". I am also the oldest child of 3 and have felt responsible for everybody elses feelings, which has been reinforced over the years by my Dad with statements like, "Don't get upset tomorrow because you will upset your brother" the evening before my Grandad's funeral.

I have been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and gone through 12 months of DBT, finishing in 2015. I have continued to struggle on and off with Depression, Anxiety and Self Harming over the last 6 years. I also struggle with chronic hip pain due to Hip Dysplasia that was discovered when I was 29.

In June last year, after 25 years of keeping it to myself, I finally gathered up enough courage to disclose to my husband that when I was a child I was sexually abused by a family friend. Since then, things have gone downhill as I started therapy and have had a few hospitalisations. Just before Christmas I spent 6 weeks in hospital and received ECT to try and treat my depression. I feel like it has helped lift my mood, but I still have a lot of self harm thoughts and urges and a long way to go in therapy.

I told my siblings and parents about the abuse over the Christmas period, which went fairly well.

Anyway....sorry that was so long hope everyone is well and I look forward to virtually chatting to you.

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Newbie Here - Hello

Welcome @Trauma_Scars , you certainly have been carrying a lot of weight for a long time. I am glad you were able to let your husband in and your family, they are not easy things to talk about. 

We have a great community here, with supportive and caring people. Hopefully you will gain the support that you may want or need. Have a look are at other threads and if you want just jump in there and say hi. 

Wishing you health and happiness 

@Trauma_Scars 

Welcome to the forum,and thank you for sharing part of your story- that takes a lot of courgage. You have been through so much. You will find everyone to be super friendly and supportive- hopefully you will find information- that is helpful too, and connection with others. Having that connection is super important and is very good for our wellbeing. Remember to take care of you too. 

@Trauma_Scars 

if you type @ dropbox will appear and you tag others and you type after the @ if you to include others or search for members who may not be in the dropbox.

Hope to see you in the forum

Hi @Trauma_Scars 

Thank you for sharing your story with us here. It take a lot of courage.

We have a great community here on the forums and I hope you can gain a lot from talking to the people here. Smiley Happy

Sending strength your way.

Rosie93

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance