Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Fate
New Contributor

What’s happening to me?

I never understood what depression & anxiety were. I still don't. Based on my readings on other people's experiences, I might have it. Seeking professional help has been put off for years because I don't want to be a part of the statistics.

I'm sad & worried everyday. I wake up worrying about growing old & getting wrinkles (i'm only 34). When my brain is not working, it wanders off to a place that questions my faith. It analyses it & finds things that are wrong with it & I feel guilty for questioning something that has kept me together for years. I've redeveloped an old eating disorder because the act of eating is the only thing that can make me feel good, but I can't afford to put on more weight. 

My family circle is such a negative space because I made it that way. I am not like them. All I wanted to do for christmas was have a chill night, but I ended up cooking for people that I didn't even know! For what? So they can post photos on social media? So they can get likes? I couldn't even say that I didn't want to be a part of it because Christmas should be spent with family, but then more than half of those people weren't anyway. I don't like being around them because it feels like my life is being scrutinised. So I join them, pretend to be happy, & space out when it becomes unbearable. It's exhausting. Then I feel bad for what I'm feeling because they've done nothing wrong to me.

I really don't understand what's going on in my head. I just can't find a reason to be happy. All I want is to be the old me. Someone who gets excited about waking up instead of the opposite.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: What’s happening to me?

Hi @Fate & welcome to the Forums! That sounds like a really tough and disheartening situation you're going through. I'm sure there are many others here who can relate and I hope you'll find them soon. 😊

You've talked about wanting to be 'the old you' who gets excited about waking up- it's ok not to be excited and leaping out of bed every single morning, but I'm wondering if there's anything that does excite you at the moment?  

@Fate  Another welcome from me.

It is exhausting being around people when you’d prefer not to be.

I understand not wanting to be a statistic, but I would recommend having a chat to your GP, and take it from there.

You are allowed to question your faith, it means you are thinking about it from your own personal point of view. I have questioned mine, and still do. God is much bigger than our questions.

it’s good you have reached out here, lots of understanding and support.

A forum tip. The @ brings a dropdown, that’s how we tag each other.

Hi @TideisTurning,

Thank you for reaching out.

I guess the whole feeling of not caring about anything worries me because it’s a first. I won’t do anything about it, but most nights I wish I wouldn’t wake up the next day.

I still like going to work, which is good. At least for 8 something hours in a day I get to somehow ignore my overthinking brain.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance