Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

nightwing81
Casual Contributor

feeling overwhelmed

hi all!

i woke up this morning feeling a bit overwhelmed. knowing that my mum is going back to the oncologist on thursday always makes me anxious. 

im also trying to make a drastic lifestyle change which makes me anxious because ive been doing the same routine for many years.

so what do you do when you feel overwhelmed?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: feeling overwhelmed

Hi @nightwing81 

Understandable that your mum's health problems would give rise to worry for you. Your own changing living circumstances could also understandably be bringing up fears, especially if you feel you have been in the same pattern for a long time.

I admit I often need to go to bed when too overwhelmed. It seems my nervous system needs a reset fairly frequently, to help calm down my overly excitable nerves. Even a short nap, or just a rest, can help me calm down. This might not be a bad idea on occasions, except I also go through periods of sleeping way too much by far.

There are other things that may be wiser: breath meditation for example (focusing on the breath, slowing it and deepening it). Even five minutes of that helps me sometimes, better if longer. Physical activities are good, of course. For me it might be walking in nature.

@nightwing81 p.s. just noticed I already suggested breath meditation on your first thread and you answered it's too hard to mentally focus. I find it like that too many times, other times it is helpful. Perhaps then I would suggest the physical activity and exercise as one way of dealing with what you are going through. That's if you don't already do that. Wishing you well.

Hey @nightwing81,

It sounds like there is a fair amount of stuff going on in your life at the moment.  Feeling overwhelmed can mean different things to different people so i would love more information on how feeling overwhelmed is affecting you if thats ok? I noticed that you mentioned anxiety a few times as well, how does the anxiety affect you?

Since you asked about what i do when i feel overwhelmed.. Usually feeling overwhelmed for me makes my mind obsess over replaying events or planning out how i am going to achive an outcome.. Say a tafe assignment or a project. Usually i can refocus by watching some productivity game videos on youtube which helps my mind to focus on being task orientated.  I also make sure to put away my phone for the first half of the day to reset my dopomine levels.( I tend to use my phone to distract me when I am feeling overwhelmed or anxious about something. If over there was a job for procrastinators) .

Cheers

Hi AussieRecharger!

I have a lot going on at the moment with my mums health issue, trying to make a drastic lifestyle change(wanting to move to start a new chapter),trying to break my routine which ive been doing for many years. When i know that my mums checkup is coming up i always get very anxious.

Feeling overwhelmed makes me worry too much and it puts negative scenarios in my head.When i get anxious it makes me feel sick. It makes me feel like im gonna throw up and then i have a panic attack. I dont like my folks seeing me this way because they dont understand what anxiety is. Theyre from a different generation and they think its a sign of weakness. It also doesnt help when your dad says " you worry to much snap out of it"

Theres a little about myself. I may give those productivity games a go!

Cheers

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance