Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

utopia
Senior Contributor

TMS

Hi everyone. I'm considering doing TMS, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, and was wondering if anyone has undergone this treatment for their Major Depression. How did you find the experience? Any pain or side effects? Did the treatment work for you? How long did the treatment work? Do you still have to have follow up sessions?

A lot of questions. Sorry.

5 REPLIES 5
Eve7
Community Guide

Re: TMS

Hello @utopia  I had a few sessions of TMS but I ended up needing ECT at the time. I didn’t have any side effects so that was a plus. It has just been suggested to me again so I might go ahead if the ad meds don’t kick in soon. I’m in hospital now and I have spoken to a few people about it and they all spoke favourably.

Paradoxymoron
Casual Contributor

Hi @utopia .... I've just started doing tms and am having mixed feelings about it. My gp suggested it to me because he has done it himself, and had a very positive result, but that has started wearing off for him four months after treatment. I've researched online and also had discussions with the nurse and psych where I'm having it done, and it seems fairly consistent that the effect wears off after about 4 to 5 months, so people go back for further treatment. I've been experiencing a pain in my forehead every time I get it done, which I've spoken with my gp and the psych about, and they both said that lots of people can experience similar pain and not to be too worried... but it is concerning to me. I did a bunch of online research and came across people who say they experienced memory loss, tinnitus and negative effects to cognitive functioning from the treatment... this is obviously also concerning. But the gp and psych tell me that all of the clinical research indicates minimal negative effects, and they said that I shouldn't take online anecdotal info too seriously. However, I do take personal stories seriously and don't always have much faith in clinical research for various reasons, so I'm kind of torn over the whole thing. What I can say is that they're doing a more intense shorter version for medicare patients (originally treatment was 15 to 20 mins long, but this new version is only 3 to 5 mins long)... so it effectively is supposed to be doing the same thing that the longer one does, but is more intense. Both the psych and gp admitted that this allows them to get more patients through. So, I requested the longer, less intense version. The psych said that the longer one has an extra cost which is not covered by medicare because it exceeds the 15minute standard session time. But he also advised that they can do a slightly longer version on the right hand side (it's normally done on the left), which is less intense and lasts for 10mins... he said this will be fully covered by medicare because it fits within the 15min standard session time. So I'm going to give that a go to see if I feel more comfortable with it... but if I don't, I'll stop. I desperately want to be done with chronic depression, but I'm not sure whether the apparent risks and need to repeat the treatment are worth the pay off? If you decide to do it, I hope you have positive results.... good luck!

tyme
Community Lead

Welcome to the forums @Paradoxymoron  and thank you for sharing your experiences with us. It certainly sounds like sometimes there are more questions than answers.

I hope it works out for you and that you see improvement.

Please take care and I look forward to seeing you around on the forums.

Thankyou @tyme  🙂

utopia
Senior Contributor

Thank you @Eve7 for taking time out during your hospital stay to answer my questions. Much appreciated.

Thank you too @Paradoxymoron  for writing from your heart about concerns regarding the treatment. All information makes it best for me to decide what way to go 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance