Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Birty
New Contributor

Psychosis medication

Hi all,

My partner is suffering from psychosis and hoping to stop medication after 2 weeks (obviously she doesn’t believe she has psychosis)

I just want to know what options I have.

I’m definitely sure stopping medication will put her into a worst situation 

Thank you 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Psychosis medication

Hey @Birty and welcome to the Forums, we are glad to have you!

It sounds like you are in a really tough position here and I want to acknowledge how much of a toll that can take. I hope that I can outline a few suggestions here.

Talking with your partner

It can be worthwhile to dedicate a time to explain exactly what your concerns are and what you are feeling. 

If your partner is insistent on stopping their medication, it can be helpful to talk about a support plan which can help you both have a set plan of what to do if they become unwell again, and what types of symptoms might indicate this.

Talking with a GP

Another option is booking an appointment to attend their regular GP to discuss your concerns together, as well the reasons your partner has for wanting to stop medication. If your partner does not like how the medication is making them feel, it can still be an option to trial a different medication or dosage depending on what the doctor recommends. 

It is also important that your partner is medically supervised should they stop their medication and that you are both aware of any withdrawal effects to look out for.

Discussing other options

If your partner is not willing to continue with medication, what other supports might they find helpful? There is a whole range of supports available, from group supports, peer supports, to more traditional counselling and psychotherapy. 

Can I force them to take medication?

The short answer to this one is 'no'. What you can do is encourage them and outline your concerns. However, if you notice behaviours that are dangerous to your partner or to those around them, you are able to call your local Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team (CATT) for immediate support and assessment if required. 

SANE has some more information about talking with someone about your concerns and when to seek help here.

I also recommend the SANE Support Centre for a further discussion.

This is such a challenging situation to be in and I hope that this is able to provide a little bit of clarity. Take good care of yourself 💛

Hey @Birty it sounds like you're really worried about this. It's a really big decision, I hope we can support you. 

I love @Peregrinefalcon ideas. I thought I'd also tag some of the wonderful folks from the carers forum who might have some wise words of wisdom for you ❤️ 

@Shaz51 @Determined @maddison @ExhaustedCarer @outlander @Krishna @tired_sisyphus 

Hi @Birty 

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry your circumstances are extreme at the moment.

@Peregrinefalcon advice is the best there is.

As someone who has been in your situation, my immediate reaction is that you cannot do this alone. It is too much. 

You said, "I’m definitely sure stopping medication will put her into a worst situation"

I know this feeling very well. It feels helpless & hopeless.

No matter how much you care about your partner, her mental health needs have gone beyond your capabilities.

You and her require professional support.

Personally, for me in the past this has been more difficult than it needs to be, in acquiring.

My experience has been that professional services will not do much, until it is crisis mode. Preventative care is uncommon. In other words, it may be difficult to get help, unless your partner is acting extremely unwell. I am only sharing this so you have an idea of possible outcomes. If help is refused, (to your logical expectations) please continue to seek help for her. It is ok to continue to call consecutive days if your feeling helpless. Don't give up.

Please also read the links that @Peregrinefalcon provided. I always find it difficult to explain to medical services the seriousness of someone else's illness.

Wishing you & your partner the best & hoping she can get the help she needs soon, for the both of you. 

Good work reaching out on here!! Please continue to seek support at any time.

Kind regards,

maddison 

Hey @Birty - medicine is usually a balancing act between side effects that you can tolerate and symptom control. If your partner can't tolerate the side effects, or if there's not a lot of symptom control, she's less likely to continue to take the medication.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance