Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Sapphire2
Senior Contributor

Anti-depressants and therapy

Hello everyone,

I have realised a week ago I wasn't taking my anti-depressant medication. I found that not taking my medication caused hand tremors, hallucinations and insomnia.

So I took responsibility for myself and spoke to my doctor, psychologist and psychiatrist.

The one thing I would say to anyone else who is on medications. Listen to your doctor, psychologist or psychiatrist.  Going off medication does have withdrawal effects.

I am still in DBT treatment and I take my medication for the best possible outcome in combination for my recovery. With the DBT programme I am looking into EMDR therapy for PTSD.

So has anyone else had problems with these?

As well as done EMDR therapy?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Anti-depressants and therapy

Hi @Sapphire2 

You seem to have a great sense of self-awareness, and responsibility and have been proactive in resuming your medication.  I think this is something that many of us have experienced—missing the odd tablet or two—and although not ideal, it does happen. So good on you for realising this and getting professional assistance.  As you said, withdrawal effects are real and can cause alarm, I'm glad you have resumed safely. 

I am a big fan of DBT therapy.  It has been pivotal to my recovery, learning to manage my emotions and symptoms of PTSD.  I found an incredible resource in the book, Calming the Emotional Storm, by Sheri Van Dijk. 

https://www.amazon.com.au/Calming-Emotional-Storm-SHERI-DIJK/dp/1608820874

I have not personally tried EMDR therapy, but have heard the non-invasive delivery of this therapy is favored for PTSD and trauma sufferers.  

I wish you the best in your recovery journey and hope you find treatments that work well for you.

Kindly Alisse

Thankyou, for your help and advice I appreciate this.

Hi @Sapphire2 ,

It can absolutely scary to look at the potential side effects for mental health medication but it's worth bearing in mind that if you look at the side effects for any medication they will all have potential side effects. What you do know is that your medication helps you manage your symptoms alongside therapy and self work! So good on you for continuing with treatment and figuring out what works for you.

Thankyou for your support!

It's such a tough one and I've found quite easy to miss a few then lose track and or think u can stop...

Sadly I have repeatedly done this sometimes accidentally and other times on purpose then I get super confused and scared. 

I am trying to put them all in the Mon- fri thing but even that can be overwhelming to do when I need to.

I use an app to remind me now to take my meds...unfortunately some days all I can muster the strength to do is have my medicine 

Good on u for reaching out and admitting this - in the past I've lied about this to family, professionals and essentially myself. It's a very unhelpful pattern. 

I wish you well in your journey 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance