Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Is this "normal"in the sense of a mental breakdown?

@jem80 

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have had one psychothic break in my life. It is absolutely terrifying. 

I'm not surprised, it took a considerable length if time for you to recover. As for what I prefer to call my many other breakdowns, to me the most fitting description would be mental breakdowns. They are scary too. 

I think distinctions need to be made when it comes to breakdowns. The most commonly used, is nervous breakdown. While agitation, panic, anxiety and nerves being completely frayed are relevant they are symptomatic. Nervous breakdown uis oo generic. and perhaps even an umbrella term. 

I know that us going to take time. I don't know how long though. I feel perhaps at least a year until I can see change and improvements. 

@Lostandalone 

Firstly, take some of the pressure off to explain this. I completely get it. 

From what you are describing, to me it sounds like a mental breakdown you had. I'm not sure if you are in any therapy? Judging from the rough idea you have given when you think it occured,shows that time is so incredibly lost for you. That us understandable too. It's ok not knowing either. 

Giving the brain time to readjust will unfirtunaly take time out to do the things it needs to do. It will come back on slowly over time. In my experience, I know I can't push it. I don't know who I am anymore either and I'm scared all of the time. I hope you start to notice tiny little steps, however long that may be. 

Take extra good care of yourself. 

@Coping_somewhat 

Thank you for sharing. I completely understand that point you got to as I got to the same point. You just have nothing left. I cried afterwards too. Big heaves, sobs and words among it. Then yes you feel a state of nothingness, blank and generally are not in a good way. 

I have done that once. Checked myself into hospital. Another mental breakdown. It was right for me at that time. This time my circumstances are different. It's better for me to be in my home. I certainly could be in hospital definitely but that just makes me feel sick. 

I'm sleeping more now whenever I feel like it. I've started therapy. I was already on medication. I have a very good doctor too. The fog is lifting slowly. That is scary. 

The mental breakdown I have had is centred around extreme pressure for nine months straight, grief, loss, trauma and many changes. 

So, there is exhaustion, extreme fatigue and generally mental instability. 

I need lots of rest. I can understand it taking several years to come right again. The past, present and future feels overwhelming and daunting. I know I am going to have to rebuild. 

I'm doing the best I can in this moment. 

I hope you had a good day today. Thanks again for sharing. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance