Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Our coping toolbox 🧰

Hey there @Xibon  🙂🌺

thank you kindly..💜

daily drive is a Yeti, 1.8L 112TSI little 4x4, manufactured in 2013, based on the Tiguan. Fun for what it is 🙂 

That’s the engine I rebuilt 🌺

Initially, I started learning repairs to ensure I wasn’t stranded - those vehicles from the 60’s and 70’s weren’t the most reliable 😉 which turned into a fun kind of thing to do. 
Xibon are you an enthusiast? 🙂

@PinkFlamingo Ahh, so it's German car, masquerading as Czech, living in Australia? It truly does sound like a bit of fun. How long did it take to rebuild, if I may ask? And what cars did you have way back when? Very curious, your knowledge and interest has me intrigued 🌻

I am not an enthusiast unfortunately, no haha. The most I can do is change my oil/tyres/brake pads which pales in comparison to your knowledge. You're an inspiration 💛

I used to be a lot more enthusiastic about cars/motorbikes when I was younger. For motorbikes I had a 2007 Husqvarna TC250 as well as a few others - but that was the main toy. Cars wise had a 1996 VS ute, then later a 2001 VU, and for both I installed new sound systems, tinting, mags, hard top covers - but I was too much of a poser to change anything performance wise hahaha. The VU had to be traded in when the kids were born, and my current drive is a 2019 HRV. It's safe and comfortable hahaha.

@Acanthiza I thought I'd share something I'm painting, if you're interested. Just kitbashed these Dark Angels Bladeguard with some Inner Circle Companions - really happy so far! 

423766150_1463764227510358_5563416600243453777_n.jpg427834052_931476501620239_137417390386734272_n.jpg428332197_777266834273131_5636101865024122203_n.jpg431583197_370912489155725_2849832243558536920_n.jpg

Wishing you all a lovely Tuesday, and hope everyone's week has been relaxing and fulfilling :))

Wow @Xibon  very impressive! Your painting is so precise and the colours and such so on point. Really looks amazing. I feel compelled to share the last thing I actually finished, a slann mage-priest. I got a bit lazy in parts 😅 but it is all a learning experience.

IMG_20230808_162719589.jpg

@Acanthiza he looks incredible! ❤️ Very slimy/amphibian feeling, and the skink looks so well picked out. The Mesoamerican design language of lizardmen is so alluring! I love the mage priest model, did you have a Lord Croak too?

Thank you! I have really been enjoying these guys, blending, picking colours, and working out a refined non-metallic metal method. Just a tester, but I'll be sure to post when he's done 😊

@Xibon  thanks for the kind words. I don't have lard kroak but do have a lot of random lizardmen to get through, along with a lot of other odds and ends that I have either printed or inherited from people that gave up the hobby haha.

I was going to say that NMM looks so good! I love NMM, A big benefit of the oils is blending but still a big old learning curve for me. Could spend a lifetime thinking about colours and how light works with metal probably. Looking forward to seeing the final product!

Hey there @Xibon 🙂🌺

yeah, haha 😁 

It took me a week to strip it down, rebuild, and replace - I had a bit of help to get it on the hoist and then attached to the engine stand, and hold the gearbox while I removed it, and then to rebuild it from the inside out after machining, till putting back in. The longest wait was the aircon guy to capture the gas before I removed the condenser. 
I had a valiant Chrysler which always had carburettor problems and would just cut out whenever it felt like it.. I was 15 so I didn’t know as much and I used to spend long hours on the sides of roads till I fixed it haha. 
move had a Toyota celica which I used to drive way too fast, I’ve had too many hilux’s that I’m embarrassed to mention them, Nissan skyline, Nissan pintara, Nissan patrol, a Hillman hunter, many vw beetles (would remove the body panels and turn them into bush buggies crashing them through the bush till they couldn’t go any further - then get the tractor and drag them back for repair and do it all again haha), an old convertible jag XJS, a fleet of Skoda Roomsters (I had 4 of them so I called them the fleet), and the obligatory herd of various ford falcons of various models - some converted to gas. 
I’ve had some bikes, the Suzuki sv650S x2, Hyosung DL650S, Suzuki bandit 1200, Kawasaki KLR650 which I used to ride through the city like I was riding a fire trail - up and over everything, and gutters don’t matter haha. 
I used to have some other bikes, but not for long, and I’d babysit bikes for other people I knew, change oil/filter, clean, lube, adjust chain, and check bearings/seals. 
Some years ago my younger brother had (still has) a skyline GTR R34, which he used to let me drive, but never let his kids in it when they were little because he and I would drive at ridiculous speeds. One weekend I was staying at his place, and my nephew crept in and woke me saying he wanted to go for a drive in dads car. Of course, I crept up, we tiptoed through the house, stole dads keys, rolled it out of the garage, quietly started it up away from the house, and went tearing through the night in my bros GTR with little nephew loving it every time the seatbelt snapped tight when we got some air. I had to go fill it up, then we crept back home and snuck it back in the garage. 
I don’t think my bro even knew - he didn’t check the small kms on the odo, and I don’t think my nephew ever told him ☺️🌺

that is wild @PinkFlamingo , you are a proper revhead lol. Living vaguely in the country I have had some fun in paddock bashers, notably remember my friend had an old mazda 1300 that wouldn't die suffering all kinds of punishment. Still can see him hitting his head on the roof with every bump we went over.

You also sparked a memory of my brother riding his dirt bike at uni. He would use all the footpaths and eventually they installed a camera on one bridge to catch him... he would just put his hand over the license plate as he went past!

Hope everything is going well with everyone out there

Hey there @Acanthiza 🙂🌺

hehe 😊 

Oh that sounds like it was so much fun paddock bashing in the Mazda! 
We bought an old Volvo 200 series wagon, removed side and rear windows, and oxy’d off the B, C & D pillars just above the body panels, and took the roof off from the top of the windscreen. That was so much fun, because it used to ride like it was boat on high seas 🤭

I think I was about 12 when we bought that (myself and my younger brother bought it). 
We would sell lots of the parts that we weren’t going to wreck (windows, bumpers, some panels, bonnet, sometimes the dash or console, some seats, exhaust systems and catalytic converters, etc) of most of the cars we bought, which would then fund our next project. 
That’s a great memory of your brother on his dirt bike at uni! 
I hope your day goes really well 🙂🌺

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance