Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

141735393_3847030391985101_3304963766041802694_n.jpg

Hello Shaz51 i see this is an old post  i'm rarely on this forum but recommend white flowered groundcover called Bacopa monnieri Snowflake. I think u can get a mauve one too.

@Shaz51 ^^^^

Current garden task here is working on getting my semi-portable homemade greenhouse into place before we get our first frost.

I'm moving it to a spot where it will get a bit more sunlight in winter, which will mean it provides some cover for a couple of plantings that are still develping their crops, and hopefully give them just a little bit more time.

It's an A-frame set up made out of old bed frames and poly carb sheeting. I found it a bit cramped last year, so I've put besser blocks 2 high under where the corners of the frames will go, and I'm infilling between those with straw bales to keep the warmth in a bit better. Also, that means I should be able to place pots all the way out to the edges. Last year, I found I both ran out of "head height", and anything near the edges was too close to the poly carb and risked getting frostbitten overnight.

Some self seeded plants had come up where the bales were going down. Silverbeet, lettuce, and a few flower seedlings. So I've potted those up to relocate elsewhere. Am also watching peas and sweet peas I planted a week ago starting to show their heads. 🙂 Those are in pots at the moment, so that I can protect them from slugs, snails and rodents.

Wow Wow Wow @Smc Wonderful.

My garden tasks today are small as my graden is small.  Watering baby plants, transplanting some and trimming under a vine along a fence.

Found lots leaves in my shirt pocket ..lol

Smiley Happy

hello @Appleblossom , @Former-Member , @Smc , @Former-Member , @Mellysmellyelly 

sorry @Mellysmellyelly , i did not receive your message xx

thank you @Former-Member for the tag 

flower.JPG

Today I finally got the bamboo privacy screen up (between my back area & neighbour (duplex)). Don't know why it's taken me 6months (after buying the stuff, just can't get my head around things often) but it's done, and looks good. Wasn't as hard as I thought. Yesterday I fixed the shade cloth over the car... tied knots in the corners, tied bendy garden wire through & around and pulled tight between gazebo and c.iron fence. It's stretches 4 X 5m and I love the way the wind gently picks it up and down a little, in shallow waves... its relaxing 🍃

I bought several new Nest Boxes - Swapped Nestboxes around, between the 3 Aviaries.

Salvaged bits from several Budgie-Chewed (demolished) Nest Boxes.

Then threw out at least 4 old demolished nestboxes.

Bought 2 new Zebra Finches - As 2 Zebras had died, in the past few weeks.

My Aviaries are all out in the Back Yard (Garden).

Watered pot plants.

But otherwise, I didn't actually do any Gardening.

I need to spend a lot more time outside, In my Garden - So that I can really appreciate my Birds (in Aviaries), & to appreciate my Plants & Garden more.

(Currently have not been doing yet).

Adge

Best time of year for being outside @Adge, gotta make it happen. Sounds like a good effort there re nesting boxes though. Just keep moving "keep on swimming" 🙏

images - 2021-03-23T153655.986.jpeg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance