Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: The Challenges of Mental Health Wellbeing

Its freezing here so im already in bed @Sans911 i didnt get up till 10 this morning, feels like ive been in bed most of the day which is unusual for me.
Im much the same tbh. I feel abit odd and Zoning in and out and fuzzy. I feel abit weird. Have a busy dsy tomorrow with 2 appts and looking at a car too. First appt is at 7 car then another appt for pop

Are you upgrading furniture or just moving things around for a change?

Hey @Judi9877

Could your housemate access some support services herself? The tafe teachers and other staff are usually pretty good if their students are struggling and need more guidance.
Would she be willing to do that? Its great you want to help her but your not responsible for her studies.

Can you set mini goals for yourself each day even basic ones to help your own well-being? . Happy to help you think of some ideas.

Hi @outlander . Thanks for getting back to my post. Very much appreciated forumite friend!

I understand what you have said and fully get your wonderful suggestions about my housemate and her tafe course but to be honest, her tafe provider is useless here in Melbourne and has been hiding behind the coronavirus restrictions even though they have long been lifted. As a student who is linked in with disability services, she should've been allowed on campus since she is deemed an at risk student under the tafe guidelines but they have made her do her course remote via zoom which hasn't suited her disability requirements. My housemate is now completing the rest of her leftover subjects by distance with an allocated teacher who is meant to assist her but the teacher only gives her the assessment tasks and tells her to find the answers via the internet with limited communication between the 2 of them. Anyway, long story short, my housemate chose to get Hef family member to do the assessments for her since we were moving and she had medical issues happening which stuffed up with her family member plagiarising work by using copying and paste off the internet and my housemate getting made to resubmit the work. This is where I'm now involved out of friendship duty and in some ways, teaching the family member a lesson in academic life- a la how to pass without plagiarism being involved! What's even more annoying is this family member has a uni degree behind them just like me and therefore should know all about academic integrity and plagiarism! It's hard but that's life for me right now and I'm stuck with it because if I don't, my housemate can turn and cause major problems for me. It must also be said that she does have MH issues and intellectual issues as well in the mix so I hope you understand the problems I face. 

I do like your suggestion of setting mini goals for myself to help with my mental health wellbeing. That is something I'd like to investigate further if you are willing to help or point my in the direction of what to do regarding  this. I have in the past tried a gratitude journal and do participate in the GRATITUDE discussion thread when I remember which is really helpful. I also like journaling which is something I got back into when I took time out away from the forums last month at PARCS for a period of time. Pleasure reading is something I'm trying to get back into as well with my current books being Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Midnight Library on the go. As for the latter book, Midnight Library, I've found some book club discussion questions from the internet that I plan to spend time thinking and writing about, a la a thing I spent endless high school English class essays on, predominantly from years 9-12 in the 1990s of all things. Getting out walking when my new walking shoes arrive this week is also something I'd like to try and work on, especially since my purple Fitbit has been calling my name and wanting some attention from me! I think that would also help with the dramas of my housemate as well as getting out would give me space and time for myself.

Thank you for reading this long post!

Take care and once again, thank you for your help.

Judi9877☺️💐

Hey @Judi9877,

Not selfish at all to post here hun. Your always welcome here anytime. Sorry to hear that your not travelling so well.

You need to put your needs first regarding your uni studies. There is a lot of support for tafe students so perhaps direct your flatmate there.

I hope you are feeling better soon and stable with your mental health.

Hi @Sans911
Thanks very much for your kind thoughts! It is very much appreciated!

I am strong and I know I can get through this period of drama. I just need some help and guidance which I know the forums and forumite friends can offer. I’ll be fine.

Judi9877☺️🌻

I am updating some furniture @outlander. I'm trying to get most of my furniture to be white. I scored a free 3 peice very large cabinet. It was very interesting trying to it in the unit. I tried to get it into my bedroom but it wouldn't go through the door. So it has to be in the lounge room, which meant swapping my bookcase into the bedroom. Lots of work.

I have a busy day tommorow too. I finally get my car back too.

Good morning my sweet sis @Sans911 

Hoping your day goes ok, sounds like it will be a busy day.

Lots and lots of love and hugs 💟💜💟💜

Hi @Sans911 @Snowie @outlander @NatureLover @Appleblossom  and everyone here.

@Sans911 That's great news about you getting the furniture pieces and going to update them. What a great task ahead of you. Well done! I feel for you about your car. My car has been off the road since December and I've been using my sisters car to now bad effect. I'm now in the search for a used car quick smart since my sister has gotten very nasty towards me in the last few days.

Potential Trigger ahead!

As for me, things weren't the best for me mentally at all to the point where I called 2 helplines over the period of the afternoon and night to good success. I also had my wonderful male friend call me and we briefly spoke about what was causing me distress. He's also calling me today which is great of him. He's an old family friend and we've always gotten along back when we were teenagers growing up and he now wants more than just friendship, much to my sisters disgust. Let's just say my sister thought he had feelings for her but was very angry towards me when my male friend said differently 2 years ago as apparently I'm not allowed to have a boyfriend let alone him, because of my MH. I've spoken to people about her and her behaviour including the helplines yesterday and they said she can't enforce this and is actually doing harm to me. She's my twin which is even worse yet she had very bad OCD and anxiety and works full time and believes she can dictate the rules to me which is not on in any form. Again, the relevant people know about this and I'm trying to look at getting help for it.

As for my MH wellbeing, I have journalled last night in the form of a letter to a special person in my life - I won't send the letter but it was very helpful to do all the same. I also managed to do some mindfulness knitting by working on a scarf and listening to some music from the 90s in my iPhone. I think they were achievements of some form considering the state of mind and the issues of my day yesterday. I've got to get my new shoes from the post office today after a mix up of my address by the delivery company so I'm hoping to get a walk in as well.

Sorry for the little rant about myself! Thanks for reading this.

Take care and enjoy yourself!

Judi9877☺️💐💕

Hi @Judi9877 Thank you for sharing. I'm really happy to hear you were able to reach out to people and that you had a good experiencing with the helplines.

I had a little chuckle at the 90's music as my wellbeing plan involves listening and dancing (badly) to 90s music too. 

I appreciate the generosity in sharing your post with us all @Judi9877 and sending you best wishes for today 💙

HappyCastle

Hi @HappyCastle
Thanks for getting back to me. Much appreciated!
The music I was listening to was Leah Heywood, Simple Plan, gf4 and girlfriend of all things! I was born in 77 and whilst I could never get into the grunge music of the 90s like silverchair and the like, I was more pop music. I also love 80s music like Kylie Minogue ( Got to be certain is my favourite song of hers) as well and newer artists like Taylor Swift, The Wolfe Brothers, Lee Kernaghan, Keith Urban, Spice Girls, Pitbull, Kesha, Lady Gaga and most stuff I hear on radio. The only real music I don’t like is proper heavy metal and grunge. Oh, and 70s stuff except for Abba and only because of their comeback in the Mamma Mia movies! I’m trying to make myself learn to listen to classical music and like it after having 3 hours forced on me by resident in a mental health facility recently who listened to abc classic radio. I did enjoy hearing the background information to the classical music pieces though which I found to be really interesting!

How about you? What types of music are you into?
Do you have a certain era that you like?

Judi9877
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance