Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Tiny bit of relief from loneliness/isolation

Hi @sol_87 ,

Thank you for posting. We appreciate you remembering and believing in what works. We value your company and are sorry that you have found yourself feeling so depressed again.

By connecting with others, I hope you will feel a sense of belonging, and also see it as a meaningful task to engage with others.

We are here for you. You are not alone.

Thanks, @tyme

It is very kind of you 🙂

Yes, engaging with the kind and friendly people on the forums worked last time. 🙂

I am here to try and connect again!

Thank you!

@sol_87 ,

Hi, I was just looking through posts and could resonate with the social isolation you described.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia but it never really fitted. The diagnosis hurt more than anything, people seem to avoid you, the stigma is real, friends and family start to doubt you. It was like I was being pushed down the social ladder. In my case I finally realised there was something else wrong and am finally getting some life back.

But the loneliness sticks. Self reliance builds up and I don't feel so eager to please everyone else. But I'm not sure if that's healthy or not. I found 'psychotic' people are just more caring, but always give of themselves too much. There is so little support in society for caring people, most of them seem to end up in MH system now, it's the only safe place to be.

Somehow society is broken, and I think the internet is largely to blame. The real world seems completely devoid of ways to connect with people in any meaningful way, most of society only cares about fun & frivolity which is tiresome to a thoughful person.

There are so many caring people who struggle today, society just uses them up, with depression finding the little wins around you becomes so important. I think depression does force people to look inside which is scary, to find your own identity in the world when it seems so harsh. Don't discount religion, spirutuality, philosophy, science, literature, or something else that allows you to find meaning.

@tyme 

Hi, @justanotherguy - thanks for your reply. It is good to hear from you.

I know what you mean about the stigma of schizophrenia. And I am sorry to hear about the experience you have had with friends and family. I tend not to tell even quite close friends about my diagnosis, which is problematic for a number of reasons.

It sets up a culture of distrust in the friendship, where I feel like I can never quite 'trust' my friend. And if and when the wheels come off again, it will likely be received in a worse way than if I was upfront, to begin with.

Also, the people who I really feel I can open up to and be myself with all know about my diagnosis - so it is a tricky one!

My most recent psychologist really encouraged me to disclose the diagnosis to new workplaces and friends, but I don't seem to be able to. The way people talk about it can be very derogatory. And I am wondering if he wants me to disclose to further the plight of people with a diagnosis of schizophrenia since I am so high functioning. It is a good point, but still, I can't do it. So, I really relate with you on that point. 😉 (And the fact that schizophrenia doesn't really 'fit for you'.

The other point you made which really had me nodding my head was the fact that society is broken and that you think the internet is to blame. I feel this very acutely and very often.

I know that I need to take some responsibility for the fact that I don't feel confident to reach out to a friend when I am feeling lonely or sad and share my heart with them. However, I feel like the internet has caused a kind of 'disconnection' between us humans, which can be difficult to broach.

And I think it can be hard to connect with people in a meaningful way too. Especially under the influence of some communication challenges that come from my mental illness and the way my brain is wired.

The people that I do feel like I 'connect' with are definitely usually part of the mental health ecosystem, and while I do see a place for fun in life, I feel like we need more tools, spaces and opportunities for real 'connection'.

And yet, reading your thoughts here 'on the internet' makes me feel like so much less of an alien in my world and validates me in a way that I couldn't easily find elsewhere.

It is good to hear that you are finally getting some life back. And I am pleased to hear that you can find at least one positive to the process of depression. I do need to find more meaning in life, so your suggestions are helpful, thank you. It is so good to hear you have found those avenues for meaning in your life.

@tyme

All the best 🙂
Sol

@sol_87 , the internet has divided society and it really shows, which has caused many problems. In just 20 years young people no longer know how to deal with people in real life, they have no coping mechanisms which makes everything worse. Escaping online becomes an avoidance strategy. The internet was created as an information source, but many use it to further victimise people. And now we can see how truly awful some people really are. But all new technology in the past has caused great upheaval - gunpowder, motor car, steam engine, computer itself. It takes time to learn how to use it safely.

Hi there @justanotherguy @sol_87 ,

Thanks for sharing. It is true. The internet has revolutionised so many things. For humans now, it's about using and not abusing it's power.

Yet, it is certainly extremely powerful. Totally agree.

@sol_87 , How are you feeling today? I understand it has been hard for you lately so I wanted to check-in with you.

Thanks for checking up on me @tyme - I am feeling a lot better this weekend.

I got my first contract to work as a support worker out in the community on Friday and it lifted my mood considerably.

One of the reasons I want to try support work is that it will provide opportunities to work out in the community and with others (rather than my normal creative freelance work). So, I am happy - I begin on Monday afternoon. It is just a short shift, but it is a positive start, I think.

My weekend was also filled with conversations and some low-key drama, which was actually quite invigorating. So, I am feeling much more connected as of Sunday evening.

Thank you again. Someone from SANE actually emailed me last week to check up on me and mentioned that perhaps it can be harder to get motivated and stay happy during these darker, colder times of the year. I thought it was a good point!

How are you doing? How was your weekend?

xx Sol

That is interesting @justanotherguy

I take your point about the Internet being an avoidance strategy. I am pretty sure I agree with that. I know that I tend to hide behind emails and texts rather than have to talk to people face to face or on the phone, especially if it would be a challenging conversation. And I am a Xennial for goodness sake!

We are at risk of losing the social skills that helped to make humans so powerful in the first place (social cooperation).

I hadn't thought about technological advances in the past and how they caused such upheaval. It is a very interesting point. With the advent of AI, things could become very disrupted again.

I get a sense of positivity in your idea that we can learn to use these things safely.

Interesting time to be alive! 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance