Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Heart
Senior Contributor

Counsellor: Right,s to ask?

@Former-Member, Just a question I got asked today that has stirred me up. At the moment I am seeing two counsellors. One I have been seeing for approximately 18 months. The second one I started seeing one on one after my husband and I went there for relationships counseling. Under her surgestion, as I was not in a good place. 

Today she asked me " what I get out of seeing two counsellors". I questioned her about what she asked me. She then said "you must be getting something sort of rise out of it."

After having my self worth slammed into the ground over many years of marriage, mentally not physically,That is the only reason I am going and getting the help I need.

When I first walked in there today I explained to her that I shut down last week at my session with other counsellor and was finding it very hard over the last couple of weeks.

I now feel as if I don't want to return to either.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Counsellor: Right,s to ask?

it appears your counsellor may have showed a bit too much personal emotion in the session. Hopefully it was a one off- i see no issues with having two. But if your uncomfortable with them for more than a few sessions i would perhaps look for another? what do you think? we are all human after all- heres hoping they were just having a bad day. Give them another go. if it continues id start thinking about the benefits your receiving from seeing them- hope that helps. Baboo

@Heart. 2 counselors. 2 major areas of your life.
1 - marriage / relationships
1 - MI and traumas.
If you get something from each of them - continue. No therapist can be everything. Each of mine have offered different perspectives and help.

@utopia, The one that was surpose to be for relationship has turned into one on one with me. That was her request and surgestion.

@Baboo, I now feel totally uncomfortable with her, given the above statement, that it was her request to have one on one with me.

Some people may get a ride from seeing multiple counsellors but I certainly don't. Considering I told her when I walked in that I was finding it very tough to be seening either of them.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance