Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

universepocket
Contributor

Planned Admission

What's it like in a hospital full of people with mental illness? What's your experience? Any tips? What are some comforting things to bring with you? What can you bring with you into hospital? Thanks ^-^

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Planned Admission

Hi @universepocket

I went into a private hospital (planned with my psych) at the end of July and was in for 3 weeks. I had to have my meds changed and was monitored.

For me I have been in this hospital 4 other times in the last 6 yrs so I knew what it was like, i knew the staff and what to expect.

But the very first time i went i was anxious, i was allowed to bring my husband the week before admission just so he could see what it was like.  and then he was okay with me going in.  It is a reasonably small psych ward only 30 rooms. 

we would start the week with varius group therapy, walks, yoga, art therapy, CBT, and then general time out for ourselves.  I brought with me a book to read, my knitting and colouring book.

This time i went in i was so exhausted before i went in that i slept for pretty much the first 2 days and they didn't push me to go to group therapy.  but after that we all had to attend group sessions.

For me i found this hospital really beneficial as it gave me space from the family, work and the world.  it gave me time to just be me; time out for me and no one else. 

at times i did have a few melt downs and emotional times but i was always cared for by supportive and caring stafff. and it didn't matter what time of day or night they were always there for me and others.

i remember being awake at 2am and couldn't sleep so i came out into the lounge area and the night nurse made me a hot milo, sat with me and we talked for a while and when i cried he just sat there and if i wanted to talk he would listen.

I hope your admssion goes well; is it a private or public hospital? wishing you all the best.  hope to hear how you go.

take care

@universepocket, psych wards vary greatly on what you can and cannot bring. Smoking I believe is prohibited in all wards (they certainly are in my state). Some wards do not allow mobile phones and some do.

Generally private clinics will allow you to bring electronic devices, although they have day programs in which inpatients are strongly encouraged to attend. 

Also items which could be used to harm yourself or others are generally confiscated (like razors, scissors, craft knives etc), although can be used with supervision. 

If it is a planned admission, ask what you can and can't bring with you.

It's not as bad as the movies, so don't despair!

@Queenie @BlueBay thanks so much for your support and your honesty. It's kind of hard to get it through my head. The idea of being in hospital is really daunting. I should mention that I'm only 16. I've been in positions before where by all accounts I definitely should have accepted the offer to be admitted. It's both a relief and an anxiety. You've both really given me some perspective though. Do you think you can make friends there? Did it feel nice to have people around who understand to a degree?.

@universepocket
Do you know what? When I was in there were at least 3 girls about your age or a year older. And they were so nervous but after a few days we as the older ones took them under our wing and showed them care. I remember one young girl was doing Yr 12 and she used to see me cry and come up to me and give me a hug and vice versa. We were encouraged to not exchange numbers but I did with one lady who I connected with. We haven't caught up yet as she went interstate for a few weeks but we will.
Just be gentle with yourself no big expectations and you will be fine.
Wish I was there to give you a hug. You are brave Happy to chat anytime. Xxxooo

@BlueBay Wow, thanks so much for sharing. Makes a difference to know that there's a chance that the people there are welcoming and warm. Why didn't they like you swapping information? Was it something to do with moving on from the experience?? Thank you so much for your kindness, it truly is very helpful. ^-^

@universepocket

yeah i think the staff didn't like the patients to be too close to each other. and i guess it was because we all had our own issues and they didnt want us to get too close.  but you still do find someone that you connect to.  

in my other admissions patients did give me their numbers and arranged catch ups but i never went, i don't know why.  maybe it was because it was a big group.  but with this lady i met this time i will connect with her, she lives only 10 minutes away from me and we both like walking, talking and coffee!!! LOL

do you have to bring school work with you?  what year are you in? are your parents okay with you going in? 

@sadgirl Wow, that's really interesting. That's so cool that you found someone so close to you! Lucky! I have an interesting set up with school. I've been extremely sick for a long time and was off school for a whole year until 2 weeks ago. I'm in year 10 and I plan on finishing at the end of the year. They let me only go 1 day or so a week to finish because I was previously in an accelerated class in year 9. It's really not the work that I go to school for....my OT is incredibly proud though. haha my mum, Psychiatrist, psychologist and my OT all kind of banded together. They all think it would be the best way forward. It's kind of a long story. My other recent posts might explain more. Do you think you will keep in touch or maybe even form a friendship with the woman you met in hospital? Can I ask how old you are now and how old you were when you were first admitted?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance